Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by gww on Today at 05:02:56 pm »
That is not necessarily my experience.  I have traps spread out in a 30 mile radius including at my hives.  The places I have two or more, they will check most before picking someplace to go.  Sometimes I catch by my hives and sometime in other traps.  I don't catch many with 15 traps but also don't see bees looking to often except when I am convinced there is some kind of swarm activity going on.  If there is nothing sweet in the hive and lemon grass oil, they don't care 90 percent of the time about the trap unless there is a swarm some where or one getting ready to swarm.  It is easy to see if it is my bees by looking at landing places around my bees if I see activity at a trap close. 

I have traps in town and in some pretty remote areas.    It is pretty hard to know what is around you and where and your odds are just as good near your hives as not with the added benefit that if it is your hives, you can walk down and look and just shake them in a box.  To me this would be the only way to tell if it was your bees and if so then yes, if they can find something as good a thousand yards away, they may pick that.  But it is somebody's bees or a hive in a tree or attic if your bees are not swarming. 

The key is they are looking at more then just your trap and may find something.  There is no way to say that a mile from you bees would be better then by your bees as far as swarms go.  I do not discount if it is your bees, the inclination would be for them to put some distance from the mother hive but with only a few hives this is easy to counter.  I contest that your bees check your trap weekly as I am convinced that unless you are putting food in your hive, the bees don't care if not looking to move and that means queen cells or the start of queen cells in your hives if it is your bees looking.  I agree that every once in a while I will see one or two bees hanging around the entrance of a trap for some unknown reason but it happens so seldom that it is just a freak kind of thing or a heavy derth.
Just my honest opinion.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by beesnweeds on Today at 04:06:50 pm »
I feel like they're just taunting me.
They are your own bees or a neighbors that you see checking out the trap weekly.  You need to move the trap some distance away from your hive to increase the chances of catching a swarm.   When a colony swarms it will cluster on a fence, branch, etc.  Then scouts will look for a new location, when the swarm decides on a new location its typically a few minutes to a few hours.  Rarely do they stick around for more than a day or two.  The bees checking out your trap are not scouts or the swarm would have moved in the same day.  It's very unlikely that so many swarms are looking at your trap in your area.  There or only so many colonies near you, maybe a few unless you live near a beekeeper who keeps a lot of hives. 
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Canadian beekeeper
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 03:06:31 pm »
I took a look and I found this and though of you Max! Enjoy....

Phillip

Why Did I Order 250 Queens All At Once!!

a Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
88.9K subscribers
144 views  10 minutes ago

Edit: I took the video address down because of language, (slightly off key). But you can copy and paste the title manually on Youtube search and find the video that way if interested.

GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Bucket Feed Question
« Last post by Kathyp on Today at 02:00:34 pm »
two things.  1. they are not dead until warm and dead/dry and dead.  2. bucket feeders are great, but you need to put an empty body and lid over them to protect from just what happened to you.

If your nuc is that strong, probably time to move it into whatever you are going to use for your hive body.  If you don't, you'll find them swarming with spring flow. 

I like the gallon jars with small holes in the lid too.  They hold up for years. The plastic buckets can degrade if left in the weather.  I have some jar feeders that I have had for probably 15 years.  Lids are a little rusty, but the bees don't care. 
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 01:33:28 pm »
Caashenb,

Sorry you lost your hive. Tim Durham uses gallon jars with a regular size, mason jar opening for top feeding.

He told he got them from the Coca Cola Bottling Company many years ago. Back in the day these large jars were used for concentrated flavoring. Coke gave them to Tim for free.

With the right size hole for the jar top to fit into, the leakage should a minimum, if any. At least Tim never expressed experiencing problems with rain water drenching his hives. Nor have I had that experience using simple quart jars in the same method. (Which should be the equivalency in rain water leakage opportunity)

I use to call on Coka Cola and still had contacts there. I was saddened to find they no longer use the one gallon glass jars for this purpose. Bummer!  :grin:

No one gallon jars for me....

Someone here at Beemaster mentioned deli's use the same type jars for pickles. (sorry I wish I could remember who gave this good report),  Anyone here know more about this ???

Thanks,

Phillip

« Last post by Caashenb on Today at 12:56:52 pm »
Hive was level and it is a 5 frame NUC.
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 12:53:18 pm »
Is your hive level? What size Nuc?
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Bucket Feed Question
« Last post by Caashenb on Today at 12:47:06 pm »
I have enough colonies now that doorman feeders are becoming a pain to deal with. I made some one gallon bucket feeders and used one on a nuc a few weeks ago. The nuc I placed it on had a migratory cover and all seemed to be going well till one night we had a nine inch rain. When I made it by to check on it all bees were soaking wet and dead.

This is the first time I had used either the migratory cover or bucket feeder, it seems that water just poured in under the bucket thru the hole in the lid, I would not think this is normal but do not see a reason for it. the bucket was full so plenty of weight to keep it tight to cover. Am I missing something in placing bucket on box?
Bob I ran out of frames this year, -got shipped the wrong size, and to make a very long story short. I have multiple hives and nucs. that Ive been cleaning up over the last couple weeks as weather permits. I installed interior feeders as fillers on the production hives but this years new hives were a mess. I feel for you.
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / 2024 5 17
« Last post by Salvo on Today at 08:40:16 am »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything