Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I just did some investigating with the fallen tulip poplar flowers in my apiary and from my trees at least the pollen is not orange.  It's very light, I'd call it cream colored, maybe a very light yellow.   
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: splits
« Last post by The15thMember on Today at 01:29:00 pm »
Our cars are all covered with pollen but I don't know where it's from or if it's even anything they can use. The only thing we have here that I can think of is the arborvitae and I don't know if that's a pollen that they can use.
That pollen that gets all over everything and makes people sneeze is almost always from wind pollenated plants, around here the spring pollen explosion is the pines.  The bees can use that pollen, but it's not very high in nutrition and they will typically collected something else if it's available. 
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by The15thMember on Today at 01:26:00 pm »
Could be a lot of reasons for that, and your first inspection will tell you a lot.
My question asking Terri about a flow in his area was asked with comb building in mind as well as any other reasons he might have for feeding (at this time). It seems reasonable to assume Terri does have a flow going at this time of year? Many beekeepers do. But just in case he may not have a flow in his area, and if he is in a death, then sure, help then. If he is in a flow it is not necessary. But if it makes him feel better then go for it especially since he does not plan to seek honey.  I do think since he is new to beekeeping and serious about learning as he is, the heads up about adulterated honey might be of interest to him.
And perhaps not of interest to him alone, the information might be interesting to other newer members as well as some of our thousands of guest.

quote;
Terri I watched your vid. I have a question, why are you continuing to feed? They seem to be well established and your flow is on?

Phillip
Somehow I got in my mind that they used it to build comb but I can't pinpoint where I got that Idea. Those jars are about empty and will be empty today and will not get refilled.
I think that's a wise choice at this point.  Bees will only draw comb when there is a flow on, so by feeding them when they arrived, you mimicked a flow to get them going.  But now that they have 2 boxes basically drawn, they have enough comb to do what they need to do with the naturally cycle of your flows.  So they will now draw when there is a flow, but not draw when there is a dearth.  Does that make sense? 

I was just giving the upfront and honest answer.  :grin: I don't anticipate honey this year so if I get any to steal, I'll feel lucky. If I do, I won't be selling any and I made sugar water as a kid so I'd probably like sugar honey just the same. Is there much of a difference in taste between sugar honey and nectar honey?
I haven't eating any significant quantity of stored syrup (for obvious reasons), but I'd imagine it would have hardly any flavor.  It's the nectar that determines the flavor of the honey.  Stored syrup is not honey, either factually or legally.  Adulterated honey, honey with some syrup mixed in, is also not legally honey, but it probably wouldn't be noticeably different from pure honey (which is why it ends up on grocery store shelves far too often).         
How long does the tulip poplar bloom and when do they produce nectar?
I'm not sure about how long they bloom.  The poplars are my property are so big and in the forest that all the flowers are up in the canopies.  I need to get out binoculars and keep a better eye on their timing in the spring.  Ours are done now, all the spent flowers are dropping. 
I was just giving the upfront and honest answer.  :grin: I don't anticipate honey this year so if I get any to steal, I'll feel lucky. If I do, I won't be selling any and I made sugar water as a kid so I'd probably like sugar honey just the same. Is there much of a difference in taste between sugar honey and nectar honey?
lol I didn?t meant the question in a way that you do not know better.   :grin: You are learning and learning fast for which I commend you!
I have also been told the bees will use it to make comb. I am asking for the consideration of honey itself in case you are planning on pulling honey this year. From what I?ve been told the bees will use excess sugar water to make adulterated honey, (which is not honey at all) according to the discussions which were going on here when I first started.
Several members were really adamant about the difference and frowned on sugar water honey verses natural nectar honey which is understandable. .

Phillip
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 09:23:23 am »
My swarm colony seems to be a lazy lot. They're early to bed and late to rise.
Terri I watched your vid. I have a question, why are you continuing to feed? They seem to be well established and your flow is on?

Phillip
Because I don't know any better. Also, I heard from several different people to feed as long as they keep taking it, as they prefer natural over sugar water and will stop taking it when there is enough of a natural flow. Somehow I got in my mind that they used it to build comb but I can't pinpoint where I got that Idea. Those jars are about empty and will be empty today and will not get refilled.

Thanks for reviewing my video, I appreciate the input.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10