Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Just finished alcohol wash tests for varroa. It still hasn?t arrived but it could arrive anytime. I won?t have to test now until spring. A few hives are struggling with little to no stores. I may move these hives to a location that will provide pollen and nectar stores during the winter period.
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: Run o' the Mill Jokes
« Last post by Salvo on Today at 12:31:19 am »
My wife sat down next to me as I was flipping channels.
She asked, "What's on TV?"
I said, "Dust."
That's when the fight started.

« Last post by animal on May 22, 2024, 11:05:19 pm »
Why did the Buddhist refuse Novocaine when he had a tooth pulled?

He wanted to transcend dental medication. 
What's the consensus on just removing that board? BTW, temps are up into the 80s for now.
It depends on how much they are fanning and how congested the entrance seems.  Some fanning is not an indication of anything wrong, just bees working the A/C or removing moist air from curing honey/syrup.  If the entrance seems congested to the point that the fanners keep getting jostled from their positions, there are a lot of fanners (like, say, more than 5), or there is a crowd of bees waiting to enter, then I'd remove it.  If you do, absolutely remove the feed (which honestly, you are probably safe to do at this point anyway).  We are grazing the 80s now and I pulled the reducer from my largest colony this week.

I'll be prepared to add another deep brood box if they look like they're ready. Should I pyramid it? They seem to be doing well enough, I can't even open the side port to look in any more because it's loaded with bees in there and they come out the hole when I open it up, making it hard to put back in without killing some.
I have never done the "pyramid scheme" :cheesy: (sorry, couldn't resist), so I can't speak to that.  It depends on how full of bees the hive seems.  Just based on how they looked last time and the growth curve they are likely on, I'm not even sure they are going to need another box, but you won't know how they really look in there until you open them up. 

That box is medium and I do want a deep there. Thoughts on what to do with that? And when should I inspect it?

I also don't have experience with swarm traps, but I might be inclined to give them about a week without an inspection, just to allow them to get settled, but if all is well they should have brood in 4-5 days and by that time they won't abscond on you, so that would probably be a good minimum window.  But that's just what I'd do having never actually done it before.  :embarassed:  As far as switching out the box, you could either just trade it out if they aren't really in the medium, or if they are, you could add a deep underneath it when they need more room.  By that time, I'd assume your season would be far enough advanced that if that breaks up the brood nest, it would be okay. 
Looking to tomorrow's chores. I'm going to inspect my nuc and see if I can arrange things properly. Last week, I made a new entrance reducer and gave them two doors to use. Pictures attached. The one on the left in the straight on picture is the top one on the side shot. The one on the left/top is used as an exit only and has some bees fanning there. The one on the right/bottom is used as a primary for the entrance with some exiting there and some fanning going on there. What's the consensus on just removing that board? BTW, temps are up into the 80s for now.

I'll be prepared to add another deep brood box if they look like they're ready. Should I pyramid it? They seem to be doing well enough, I can't even open the side port to look in any more because it's loaded with bees in there and they come out the hole when I open it up, making it hard to put back in without killing some.

I'm going to move the swarm hive tonight and leave it there and deal with whatever they do. They did perform orientation flights all day on Monday and I wish I'd have just left them in their new home in the first place. I was able to get a good look in the bottom box on that hive and I did not see a lot of activity down there nor did I see any comb being added to the frames. They are using the top entrance for the most part. That box is medium and I do want a deep there. Thoughts on what to do with that? And when should I inspect it?
It was inadvertent and incidental but the bees quickly found the wheelbarrow full of algae that I skimmed off of my swimming pool as I prep it for the summer season. That stuff has to be like the MD 20/20 of drinking water.
« Last post by animal on May 22, 2024, 05:31:08 pm »
Cool meme, Teri ... I stole it :grin:
Sal, call this one revenge  :wink:
A guy living on a bay in Florida befriended a dolphin and became obsessed with it. He spent every moment possible swimming with it, petting it, etc. Then his job was transferred to Georgia and he had to move. Unable to do without his friend, he bought a house with the largest swimming pool he could find and set it up for the dolphin. When he was ready, he went back, captured his old friend and returned to Georgia. He got away with it, but the dolphin refused to eat anything he was given. The only thing the dolphin had eaten were a few small fish that were inadvertently trapped when it was trapped. So the guy decides to go back to the bay, catch a huge load of small fish and take them back in his truck. As soon as he crossed back into Georgia, the cops pull him over. The huge load of fish looked suspicious so they investigate. The charge? Transporting minnows across the State line for an illegal porpoise.   

HONEYBEE REMOVAL / Re: This Girl has the JP//Schawee Touch!
« Last post by Ben Framed on May 22, 2024, 01:41:44 pm »
Glad I didn?t have a drink in my mouth as I read this !!!!!   lol. :cheesy:
« Last post by animal on May 22, 2024, 01:30:28 pm »
now ... if we can just convince the beekeeping gals to adopt iddee's normal attire for swarm removal in their videos ... :wink:
« Last post by Ben Framed on May 22, 2024, 11:51:29 am »
👍🏻 Thumbs Up !

Whoops had to modify that fast! Using my phone, I had pasted a post to a family member here accidentally!  :embarassed:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10