Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Obviously, you have confidence in the sugar roll method but I have heard others express differing positions on it. I'd like to know more about the pros and cons on it.
I use Dawn dish detergent for a mite wash. 2 tbls. per gallon of water.  Sugar rolls are not accurate.  Just swirl the bees, dont shake or it gets too soapy.  Sampling 300 bees for 6 months is only 1800 bees per colony, thats nothing.  More bees die daily from attrition and the sampling saves hundreds of thousands of bees or more in my apiary.
What causes a brood break and how long do they last?

Splits, swarms, or forced brood breaks by caging the queen 14 days.  They last as long as there is no capped brood for mites to hide in for an OA treatment.
And lastly, we are still having spring here so our weather is above and below bee flying weather. What do they all do in there when they have no-fly days?
I use slatted racks, so on no fly days, or overnight, foragers will typically cluster under the rack unless its hot out, then they will cluster on the outside of the hive even in the rain.

WEB VIDEOS / Re: Paul Harvey; News and Comments 1987
« Last post by gww on May 10, 2024, 11:51:16 pm »
I'm not mad about it but trump flip flopped on background checks and he flip flopped on tic toc and ect.  and lots of times he says two things at the exact same time so everybody can take what they want from it.  The dumb ones only take the part they want to hear and discount the rest being said.
WEB VIDEOS / Re: Paul Harvey; News and Comments 1987
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 10, 2024, 09:50:58 pm »
Trump is not perfect and he has rubbed me the wrong way a time or two and done some things that he shouldn't have but one thing that is undeniable is that his message has remained the same. He does not flip flop to appease any special interest groups.
WEB VIDEOS / Paul Harvey; News and Comments 1987
« Last post by Ben Framed on May 10, 2024, 09:30:04 pm »
Is New York?s Donald Trump running for President?

https://youtube.com/shorts/qBKhix7kj3Y?si=GGHT0iFoTAp5FviA
Obviously, you have confidence in the sugar roll method but I have heard others express differing positions on it. I'd like to know more about the pros and cons on it. Or the whys and why nots, however you want to put it.
A sugar roll is not as accurate as an alcohol wash, so I multiply my results by 1.3 to make up for that difference in accuracy.  I find the sugar roll easier and it doesn't require me to kill bees, so I prefer it.  I like to do sugar rolls regularly because I'm someone who likes data, but I'm honestly moving away from treating based on sugar roll numbers alone.  I'd rather treat colonies with high mite loads who also are showing signs of stress, because I'm trying to breed for not only resistant bees but resilient bees.  That's my take on it anyway. 

What causes a brood break and how long do they last?

Anything that causes the colony to be queenless, and therefore broodless, for long enough that all the capped brood has emerged causes a brood break.  In this case, the queen in this colony had become a drone layer over the winter, so I pulled her in my first inspection of the year, but for some reason it took several weeks of me adding donor frames of eggs before they made a new queen, and therefore their population got very low.  I debated combining them with someone else, but it's early enough in the season that I decided to just let them go. 

And lastly, we are still having spring here so our weather is above and below bee flying weather. What do they all do in there when they have no-fly days?
Well the bees who are of inside work age just do their inside work like always.  I'm not sure about foragers, but I'd guess they will sometimes just rest or maybe help with guard duty.  I opened a hive once on a rainy day, I can't remember why, and there was a cluster of bees just hanging on the underside of the lid, who I think were foragers just hanging out there because they couldn't go outside.
Obviously, you have confidence in the sugar roll method but I have heard others express differing positions on it. I'd like to know more about the pros and cons on it. Or the whys and why nots, however you want to put it. What causes a brood break and how long do they last? And lastly, we are still having spring here so our weather is above and below bee flying weather. What do they all do in there when they have no-fly days?
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: Laser projects
« Last post by The15thMember on May 10, 2024, 07:12:42 pm »
A sign you're getting old, I guess ... finding things funny that seem normal to others ... I've been noticing many "new ones" over the years.

Just curious, but who else chuckled a little ...

When they saw "Laser Projects" under the category of "Farming and Country Life"?
Ha!  That is kind of funny.  :cheesy:  It didn't strike me until you mentioned it though.
I inspected most of my small colonies today.  Most needed another box, and I did a sugar roll in the largest colony and only 1/300 so that's good.  I was worried because the bees in there are kind of over-groomed looking, but I think it's just that they are old because this hive is coming off a brood break.  I also got some pictures of Queen Tiana.  I've never had a queen this dark.  I have several tiger-striped queens, but she is all black.  (Sorry the picture quality isn't better, I had my phone in a plastic baggie to protect it from propolis.)       
THE 2ND AMENDMENT / Re: Welcome to the 2nd Amendment Room
« Last post by animal on May 10, 2024, 04:52:01 pm »
I actually got a chuckle out of a bad ruling in NY the other day. It was so bad as to be comical. If I have time, I'll post something on it later.

It was another example of libtard judges stretching an argument to the point of ridiculousness. I'm convinced some of those are delay tactics to keep an unconstitutional law on the books for as long as possible, because it's sure to be overturned at some point, but am open to the possibility that leftists are really that stupid.
THE 2ND AMENDMENT / Re: Welcome to the 2nd Amendment Room
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 10, 2024, 04:32:30 pm »
They don't really want to take our guns, they just want the world to be a safer place.  :rolleyes:  But people aren't killing other people with guns that they bought second hand through private sales. And the last I heard, a binary trigger hasn't been a problem either but here we are.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10