Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Community Feeding
« Last post by The15thMember on Today at 02:37:30 pm »
I think this falls under "Do what works for you".   :grin:
Per usual.  :wink: :grin:
HONEYBEE REMOVAL / Re: This Girl has the JP//Schawee Touch!
« Last post by animal on Today at 02:34:18 pm »
My goodness, at least she is apparently a fellow beekeeper. I had no idea that this little video would be met with such criticism and controversy. A little entertainment from her, a fellow beekeeper to you was my goal. I don?t know the girl nor anything more about her than which is displayed in this. Video.

Honest question:
To be fair to her; Was y'all just as straight forward and critical in her comment section? Affording her the opportunity to answer your criticism and dislikes? If so maybe you might help her to be aware of details which might help her transition into making  the type of videos that would meet with your approval.
Speaking as a man that is straight and known to be a bit "forward" at times ... I see no reason to be critical in any comment on that which is displayed in this video.  :wink:
« Last post by The15thMember on Today at 02:32:42 pm »
Honest question:
To be fair to her; Was y'all just as straight forward and critical in her comment section? Affording her the opportunity to answer your criticism and dislikes? If so maybe you might help her to be aware of details which might help her transition into making  the type of videos that would meet with your approval.
I don't need her or her videos to meet with my approval.  She can do whatever she wants and that's fine.  It's just not the kind of thing I enjoy or think is valuable.  Other people are welcome to it.  I think if more people didn't say anything at all when they didn't have anything nice to say, YouTube would be a nicer place, so I'm certainly not going to go and complain in her comments section.  I'm just not going to watch her videos.       
« Last post by AustinB on Today at 02:31:34 pm »
My goodness, at least she is apparently a fellow beekeeper. I had no idea that this little video would be met with such criticism and controversy. A little entertainment from her, a fellow beekeeper to you was my goal. I don?t know the girl nor anything more about her than which is displayed in this. Video.

Honest question:

My first comment was centered in jest, if you re-read it I think you'll agree. We all know social media is tailored for clicks, so no biggie. Its America, she has a right to put content out into the public, the public has a right to express their opinion. No need for it to be more than that :wink:
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 02:18:21 pm »

Honest question:
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Community Feeding
« Last post by Kathyp on Today at 02:16:32 pm »
I can see how that would work for that many hives.  His reasoning is sound.  My problem was not with my bees, but with outside intruders.  I think this falls under "Do what works for you".   :grin:
« Last post by animal on Today at 02:13:32 pm »
just a "serious" .02

anyone taking bee bunny videos as serious instruction on removals or beekeeping, might need a sting or two to teach them otherwise.

maybe these gals are teaching the valuable lesson to not believe every thing you see (and like). That's what I'm going with anyway ..
So for all the babes posting ...

Keep it up ! ... Some of us see great value in your service to mankind!  :cool:

« Last post by AustinB on Today at 01:58:53 pm »
Yeah, but I bet you don't have long hair!  :wink: :cheesy:  I don't want to speak for Austin, but I don't think it's unrealistic in the sense that she isn't really doing it, just that it makes people assume things about bees and bee removals that aren't necessarily accurate, especially because she isn't showing the whole process.  Not everyone should crack open a bee hive with no protective equipment, and not every bee hive would respond well to it, and unfortunately that's what a lot of people on social media might assume from seeing something like that scroll by in their feed without any context.  I did see her wearing a jacket or a veil in other videos to be fair.  But seriously, I don't know how on earth she can stand having her hair down like that while she's working and how bees are not constantly getting tangled in her hair.  My hair is a little bit longer than hers, and I always have to be careful when I'm around the hives if I have it down.  It's probably the number one cause of my getting stung when I'm in the apiary but not inspecting.  I always put it up when I'm going to be working around or with the bees.   

Nailed it  :grin:
« Last post by AustinB on Today at 01:54:03 pm »
That one hit a nerve huh ha!

I'm not saying she doesn't get the job done, or shes bad at removals

I was looking more past that, into the impression and representation of the removal. She's a carbon copy of Erika Thompson. Nothing wrong with that, its just that all of the content is very selected and tailored for social media and views. Which again, not saying its a bad thing, they clearly make a lot of money doing it. Girl, long hair always down, zero ppe, skimpy shirts, never aggressive bees, etc. It appeals to the masses, but I can assure you thats unrealistic for Texas with the scoot' genetics running around down there. I don't have anything against her, just stating the fact that there is a lot of cherrypicking to make the content fit into a certain type of category. The videos are fun, I just get tired of social media bandwaggoning.
Now dirtrooster? That is some legit bee removal content, cool videos too.

Jim, I'm talking the overall tone of the removals, not instances where you don't have to wear PPE. I'm a licensed and insured commercial and residential bee removal pro here in the NoVA and DC region, and I typically do a lot of them without PPE also, if the bees are not stirred up. But sometimes they are, and sometimes downright aggressive. So I just respond to the bees accordingly.

Animal gave a few great examples of why her style is so popular  :cool:

I have long hair too, and a full beard but I keep my hair up during removals  :cheesy:
I've got a commercial removal coming up and the local news is considering being on site for it, maybe I'll let it down for that one LOL :wink:

By the way JP is the man
Well since you just caught a swarm, my guess would be that the flow in your area is strong enough that you can stop feeding at this point.  Your girls have almost two boxes drawn out now, so they should have enough comb to do what they need to do.  In my opinion, that is a major reason to feed a new nuc/package, so they can draw the comb they need for the hive to function, especially since there may not be a nectar flow on naturally.  Whereas swarms come with bees primed to draw, so they don't need the extra boost.       
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10