Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drawn comb or foundation...  (Read 3704 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Drawn comb or foundation...
« on: May 18, 2007, 10:20:28 am »
I only have about 12 supers of drawn comb from last yr..

I haven't used any of it yet.  I've been putting foundation supers on my hives to increase my drawn comb super #s.  Another reason is that I had 7 med. supers of Pierco black frames I wanted drawn out. My plan is to start using last year's drawn comb in about a month.  I know most people use the drawn comb when they have it - the bees like it and it gets quicker results as far as honey production but I choose to wait. 

My question would be, if I wait until mid to late June to use the drawn comb will there be a problem for the bees filling these supers before things start to slow up for fall..?  I know there's alot of things that determine filling supers.  I'm thinking it'll be ok but I'd like to hear some expert opinions on what I'm doing.

Note: The bees seems to be alittle slow getting started drawing out the Peirco frames but they're all over it when they do get started.  It's an interesting look to see the contrast between the jet black foundation and the almost white drawn comb. 

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Drawn comb or foundation...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 12:05:57 pm »
I am not a professional, but if the bees draw out good from foundation, while a good flow is on let them have at it. For plastic, I found out some suppliers put more wax on than others. The bees will be really slow to get started if there isn't enough wax on. I have heard/read that some beekeepers will make swarms to get comb drawn.
I have noticed when I hive a swarm, they do seem to get the job done in a hurry.
I am going to try to go back to all wax foundation in my brood. then when I get ready to change out I don't have to worry about the plastic cleanup. The plastic is good if you are extracting honey, it doesn't blow out like wax foundation with the extractor I am using. Till I can get the other one.
doak

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 01:42:56 pm »
I wonder if they will ever make full drawn plastic comb. My duragilt i usually buy never turns out nice uniform. Not a big deal though. I'm definately thinking about buying starter strips.

Jake

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 01:55:09 pm »
I wonder if they will ever make full drawn plastic comb.

They already do.   permacomb and honey super cell
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 01:57:29 pm »
My question would be, if I wait until mid to late June to use the drawn comb will there be a problem for the bees filling these supers before things start to slow up for fall..?  I know there's alot of things that determine filling supers.  I'm thinking it'll be ok but I'd like to hear some expert opinions on what I'm doing.

It all depends on the flow.  If you have a heavy flow, a strong hive can fill a super in a matter of days.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 02:00:30 pm »
Hmmm... I wonder why my local bee supply store doesn't sell it...
I'm gonna have to have a talk with him.
 :lol:

Jake

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 03:04:00 pm »
Hmmm... I wonder why my local bee supply store doesn't sell it...
I'm gonna have to have a talk with him.
 :lol:

Jake

Neither are available thru dealers, only direct.    Both advertise in Bee Culture.

Permacomb -> http://www.beesource.com/bee-l/bulletinboard/seets/permacomb.htm

HSC -> http://www.honeysupercell.com

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 07:35:39 pm »
HSC + Europe= How to? :-D

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 11:52:29 pm »
Maybe it was just me but I was given one deep frame of permacomb and I decided to place it in a brood chamber this year during the buildup and left it there for a month. The bees never touched it. Not the first flake of wax or brood. The other frames in the box were black pierco.

It look really nice leaning against a tree in the bee yard.

My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 11:54:08 pm »
Steve,

BTW you gettin much honey up there? I'm not doing too bad but it could be better I believe.
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 07:59:42 am »
Maybe it was just me but I was given one deep frame of permacomb and I decided to place it in a brood chamber this year during the buildup and left it there for a month.

Permacomb only comes in mediums.

If you meant HSC, then you can not just give them one frame until it is used.   You must force them to use it the first time. After it has been used, it seems that acceptance is not a problem (or so I have heard, haven't got that far myself). I have dumped two swarms onto it and they are using it fine.

You would get the same results if you put a new frame of pierco in with wax.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 10:25:51 am »
Steve,

BTW you gettin much honey up there? I'm not doing too bad but it could be better I believe.

I'm getting a good bit but not as much as last season.  That Easter frost we had really put the hurt on the populars.   Their blooms had just begun to open when the the temps. fell to low 20's for several nights.  It killed all the blooms and killed back the trees about a foot or so.  All the trees were hurt - they still don't have full leaves on them.  I have about 13 hives here and few at another place - the 13 here seems busy but whether they're making alot honey, we'll have to see....  I planted alot of the thornless blackberries about 3 yrs. ago  - they're in full bloom and the bees are over them, so that'll help. Got about 60 blueberry bushes here - the frost killed all but a few blooms on them.

I don't thimk y'all got the full blast of that Easter frost did you..? 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 11:35:05 pm »
Any plastic is accepted best if there is nothing else to choose.  Once it is used any plastic is accepted the same as regular comb.  I wax dip my PermaComb (heat it to 200 F and dip it in 212 F wax and shake off the excess) and it is perfectly accepted and is 4.95mm cell size.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 11:38:55 pm »
I'm definately thinking about buying starter strips.

I've never seen starter strips for sale - I buy foundation (usually medium sized) and cut the starter strips.  I use a rotary quilting cutter - others use a pizza cutter - to cut the foundation into 3/4 inch strips.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 11:54:11 pm »
I used black pierco medium frames from Brushy Mt last year and both of my hives built up on it without hesitation. This year I'm using only white peirco where I've needed new frames (have 4 hives now) and the difference is amazing. They work it much faster especially in the honey supers. Only problem is it's harder to see the eggs in the brood boxes.