Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding  (Read 2544 times)

Offline atthelake22

• New Bee
  • Pausing to give thanks
feeding
« on: February 21, 2007, 11:47:36 pm »
I have a question on feeding.
Can you use hive top feeders in the winter time?
 I live in the southern most part of Ohio but it is still cold here, except for this week which has made me extremelly anxious to get started.
Over the month of Nov. and Dec. and some of Jan we were able to feed the bees with bee candy and patties and they took them very well (almost too fast for comfort) but anyway I am now wondering if it is time to start feeding again.
Last week we had temperatures WAY below average and had about 5 inches of ICE on my driveway to give you an idea of the changing weather.
This weekend is suppose to reach near 60 and would like to jump on the chance if it won't harm the bees to feed them. KNOW i will feed them candy but would like to know if anyone uses hive TOP feeders in the winter at all...we still have a while till spring here in my area.
Thanks for the help!! I sooo appreciate it. My first spring on our own raising hives and the CCD threat is spooking me so  much. Want to look inside but know that's not advisable. So appreciate any advise, any at all..
thanks so much
atthelake22
"...so shines a good deed in a weary world" dahl

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: feeding
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 12:10:10 am »
I have a question on feeding.
Can you use hive top feeders in the winter time?
I will let northern beekeepers answer this. I live in florida and don't have to winter my bees.

I live in the southern most part of Ohio but it is still cold here, except for this week which has made me extremelly anxious to get started.
Over the month of Nov. and Dec. and some of Jan we were able to feed the bees with bee candy and patties and they took them very well (almost too fast for comfort) but anyway I am now wondering if it is time to start feeding again.
Last week we had temperatures WAY below average and had about 5 inches of ICE on my driveway to give you an idea of the changing weather.
This weekend is suppose to reach near 60 and would like to jump on the chance if it won't harm the bees to feed them. KNOW i will feed them candy but would like to know if anyone uses hive TOP feeders in the winter at all...we still have a while till spring here in my area.
Thanks for the help!! I sooo appreciate it. My first spring on our own raising hives and the CCD threat is spooking me so  much. Want to look inside but know that's not advisable. So appreciate any advise, any at all..
thanks so much
atthelake22

The CCD threat is right now a lot more fearmongering by the media than anything else. If you are not a commerical beekeeper who does migratory pollination i wouldn't worry.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:15:48 am »

Wetaher http://www.wunderground.com/US/OH/Chesapeake.html

You have wether like we have in April before willows start to bloom.

Open the inne cover
Look if you see capped food in frames , then hive is OK and you may wit better wethers to check the hive

If you feed, pour 60% syrupr into combs. Dilute 10 pound sugar.
Put syrup combs into box and that box under brood box.  It takes some day when bees put syrup in order and lift it to upper combs.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:54:06 am »

I think that all beekeepers should worry about CCD, at least those that don't believe in vinegar vapor as treatment for inhive problems.

It is said that the queens have a virus that they pass on to their daughters resulting in CCD.

I understand that Research is coming soon {if not already started] on the problem using vinegar vapor.       

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:46:30 am »

I think that all beekeepers should worry about CCD, at least those that don't believe in vinegar vapor as treatment for inhive problems.

It is said that the queens have a virus that they pass on to their daughters resulting in CCD.

I understand that Research is coming soon {if not already started] on the problem using vinegar vapor.       
There is a meeting taking place in Stuart , Fl right now on CCD. I spoke to Troy at the meeting yesterday. Statements about the queen having a virus are unfounded and unfortunatly not true and nothing yet has been said about vinegar vapor. The simple fact is they are not certain as to the cause. It may be one item it may be a combination of many.  They are doing research but it is quite extensive and I am not sure it will be coming out very soon.
I recommend you look at http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/index.html. They are the group doing the research.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 08:36:20 pm »
 understudy: Nope, wrong coast. The research i'm referring is on the west coast. I understand that acetic acid is the primary player in this research.  Charlie

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 08:54:05 pm »
Can you give me a link to the research or the organization doing the research?

The more research information I get the better.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 01:03:37 am »
I think that the CCD will be discussed in-depth at my course at our university next week.  I an anxious to get research data that will most likely be brought to the forefront and maybe things may seem more clear.  I am sure there will be great, informed discussion.  Having a great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service