Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just learning  (Read 3254 times)

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
Just learning
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:19:16 pm »
Hi, I'm new and trying to decide if beekeeping is something I can do.

I've been lurking here for a while and soaking up all the info I can, but it seems there is a lot to beekeeping. (a lot I don't know, anyway  :-D )

I recently decided I'd like to do more with some acreage we own, and I'd like to be  a little self reliant.  I decided to plant fruit and nut trees, and a large garden, including berries.  I've been toying with the idea of beekeeping, although I'm still a little unsure if it's something I can do.

Funny thing is that over the last 10 years we've owned our small acreage, the tree that overhangs the short driveway, has had wild bees in it.
I was always careful around the tree when the bees seemed really active. Careful when mowing and making too much noise when they were buzzing over my head.
Last fall they seemed really active and over this summer I hadn't noticed them at all. It seems either they left, or possibly died out.  :?

Now that I'm thinking of beekeeping, I'm wondering what area of the pasture, I can put a hive or 2 in, and if it will be safe for the horses and for me to mow around the area?
The place I'm thinking of has some big trees and I don't mow under them because of the surface roots.
I can fence off that area, but I still worry about the horses getting too close, and the neighbor who's farm field is close by. 
Brenda

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Just learning
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:52:06 pm »
my horses pasture right next to my bees.  no problem.  my cats sit on the hive when i'm out there and stick their paws in the vent holes.  bees don't seem to mind.  i run the tractor around my hive and through the pasture.  no problem.

i think you can do it ok.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:59:22 pm »
That's good to know, kathyp. Thank you.  :-D

Now, what about raccoons and possums?  I know we have them around the barn. Would they bother the hives?
Would I need to put an electric fence around the hive?
Brenda

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 11:15:39 pm »
Bees will help any fruit production tremendously.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 01:30:30 am »
I'm finding that bees are pretty tolerant of more than we ever would think.  I mow with my lawnmower in the beeyard, they don't seem to mind.  I stay away from the front entrances best I can though, I don't want to interrupt their flight.  We don't have livestock roaming right now, but I agree with Kathy, I don't think they would bother them.  Good luck.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 06:49:30 pm »
Ever notice the fence rails and posts around a horse pasture or stall?  They like to chew.  I don't know if it's boredom, or they get some mineral or taste they like, but they gnaw on wood.  Pretty easy for them to knock a hive over too.  I have hives in horse patures, but I keep a hog wire fence around them so the horses can't reach them.  Horses are fine as long as they can run away, but in a closed in space, enough bees can sting them to get them down.  A couple T-bars is a lot cheaper than horse.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 07:51:49 pm »
ya, i don't think i'd put the horses in the same pasture.  mine are in the pasture next to the bees.  my horses are just to curious.  they'd be poking at those hives for sure!  my hives are next to the fence and only a couple of feet separate the horses and bees.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 07:55:08 pm »
I have to fence the beehives off from the horses, but they are in the middle of the pasture.  The horses will eat the beehives.  Literally.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 08:12:01 am »
9acres,
If you keep your hives sufficiently raised off the ground the bees will know what to do with the bellyside of these animals if they are stretched up for a snack.Or you could  do a search on this forum for top entrance hives. I have not had any problems yet other than the dogs being curious!Just make sure in the fall to use mouse guards because mice will want to enter the warmer hive after the bees go into winter cluster.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 10:38:56 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 01:55:18 pm »
What about ice closing off the entrance?

(I have to ask because we got hit with that storm)
Brenda

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 05:56:03 pm »
Mine have a SBB that usually leaks some air from underneath.  I would expect the heat from the cluster to keep at least some opening at the top melted.  I've never seen them closed in and we have had some ice storms.
-------------------

anything