Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Re: Spinoff from: "This Girl has the JP//Schawee Touch!"  (Read 441 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Whether you have removed honeybees yourself, or know nothing at all about removing honeybees.; I think you will find the following video VERY educational and WELL put together with a touch of professionalism and style!
Here, this young lady clearly explains what you may expect when doing a honeybee removal. Not only what may be expected from the honeybees, but the homeowner as well.

Beware! The art of honey bee removal can be addictive !  Dont believe it? Ask Beemaster2 or iddee!

I have only watched three of her videos, but so far and I'm happy to report I'm VERY impressed with her professionalism and style of clearly relaying information to the viewer!

Phillip

The following video is offered in CC for the hearing impaired
https://youtu.be/j4AQGhVjPKE?si=1TQ1BLVpCBNMVurn

PS I am 'temporarily' placing this in Genera Beekeepingas as
many of our members and guest do not think to check out the
honeybee removal section.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 12:06:52 pm by Ben Framed »
Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Spinoff from: "This Girl has the JP//Schawee Touch!"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 10:08:39 am »
Nice video w/o the bloviating of the typical youtube producer. Oh, and watchable at 1.5x :cool: What are the tricks to spotting a queen, particularly when there are large numbers of bees to sort through? I question whether or not I'll ever be able to master that.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 10:39:03 am »
>Nice video w/o the bloviating of the typical youtube producer. Oh, and watchable at 1.5x :cool: What are the tricks to spotting a queen, particularly when there are large numbers of bees to sort through? I question whether or not I'll ever be able to master that.

It 'is' a nice video Terri. Put together by what seems to be a very nice person. Its obvious she has been doing this a long time. Have you seen the video posted by animal of her old pickup truck honey display?  The thoughts put into that one, incorporated with marketing strategy, are brilliantly outstanding..... !!!!!

Terri, I was wanting to know 'the tricks' to finding the queen, just as you, when I first began. As you know she will usually be found in the brood chamber on the inner 8 frames. (Not always, but most times). What I do is when viewing a frame in search of her, is scan the outer edges of the frame and swiftly work my way around and around working my way toward the middle, until I get to the middle. Usually if she is on the frame, you will see her if she is not under her offspring. It takes practice, but the first time you locate her, you will be well pleased!

Phillip

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 11:27:51 am by Ben Framed »
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 11:46:40 am »
Thanks for that advice. I should practice by looking for mine by physical characteristics rather than the red dot on her back. I expect to need to have that skill when I open up my swarm. But who knows, she could be marked too. At beeks class on Tuesday, we looked for the unmarked queen in the school hive and about three of us passed her off until another guy found her on the frame. :cheesy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 11:53:50 am »
> But who knows, she could be marked too.

She may very well be marked. I have found marked swarm queens...

> At beeks class on Tuesday, we looked for the unmarked queen in the school hive and about three of us passed her off until another guy found her on the frame. :cheesy:

It takes practice Terri, you will get it. TheHoneyPump spoke on this 'here' at Beemaster a few years ago, giving hints and tips on finding the queen. In fact he took the extra time to take and post pictures, explaining as he went. He was a GREAT teacher and one of my 'mentors' here at Beemaster. He was 'a Beemaster' himself!

Phillip

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:48:05 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Re: Spinoff from: "This Girl has the JP//Schawee Touch!"
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 08:00:56 am »
It is a mistake to assume either marked or unmarked when looking for a queen.  She could have been replaced.  They could have cleaned the dot off.  Your marked queen could have swarmed etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 10:41:12 pm »
> (Terri) I should practice by looking for mine by physical characteristics rather than the red dot on her back.

> (MB) They could have cleaned the dot off.

Another good point Mr Bush. I have queens with the dot almost gone!

anything