Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Variations in genetics at different apiary yards  (Read 487 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Variations in genetics at different apiary yards
« on: May 23, 2024, 03:45:49 am »
Hi Folks,

Just thought I?d raise a topic for discussion in relation to variations in bees located at different yards and how the local conditions can impact on genetics and hive performance. I have two yards where I keep bees. Most of my hives are on our two acre block with another five hives located 12km way as the bee flies. About ten years ago I took some hives from the home yard and located them on a small paddock owned by the school I used to work at. I have not bought a queen for ten years and have allowed the bees to naturally re queen as required. During this time, I have noticed some interesting genetic changes in the bees. The variations are visibly distinct and the general temperament of the hives are now quite different. These developments have been slow to appear but the variations have grown in magnitude over time. The changes are obviously caused during the mating process and therefore the drones that are present in each areas are responsible. I have found it quite fascinating watching the changes over the years and how the hives have developed. The bees in my home yard are quite large and very dark.  They are good honey producers and don?t go overboard in relation to the use of propolis within the hive. Some of these bees are reasonably passionate and are often happy to meet up with you. At the other yard, the bees are very small in comparison and are also a much yellower colour. They are pleasant to work with and also produce well. These bees tend to use a lot more propolis throughout the hive for some reason.  The second bee yard is on sand and only about 500m from the beach. The SHB love the sand and their numbers are much higher in this area.  The vegetation that grows in this block is also completely different to the home yard and I get some interesting honey varieties from this area. The biggest advantage is that I have pollen and nectar coming in at this site throughout the year. Not enough for a flow but there is sufficient to keep the hives strong. We are only a week from hitting winter and these hives were inspected and tested today. It was interesting to see white wax still being made and also drones present within the hives. In comparison, the home yard hives have all but shut down. I find it amazing that a short distance can have such a huge impact on the bees and how they survive. I would be interested to hear similar stories and ideas as to why these situations occur.

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
Re: Variations in genetics at different apiary yards
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 07:50:40 am »
Thanks Les, this is something I also found amazing when I dumped the queen racket.  So I have saw huge changes for the good across all yards.  What was also evident was the subtle differences just in the same yard. But I found it had more to due with the time of year they were mated. The earliest mated queens, were the ones I like the best build up and production wise. They are almost jet black and on the large side. The next group tend to be more of a brownish color and are also quite good queens. The next ones to come are the yellow large ones, Some are ok some not I keep about 50% of them these are the ones produced around the end of march through April. Then come the what My granddaughter calls the stubbys big and fat, My opinion they just dont cut the mustard. What I have tried to do is replace everything across the board with the black or browns. I try and keep some in nucs so after I pull supers I can requeen any that need replaced.
Temperament can arise any time, they get purged if I cant work them no matter how much honey the produce. I have also  fallen away from requeening every year. On the 3rd year. I requeen anything with a 3rd year queen, because I always seem to lose them that fall, at the most in-opportune time.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 08:44:37 am »
Les,
You mentioned that the home yard produced very little propolis and the SHB were not a problem.
Your out yard had serious SHB problems and then they started making lots of propolis. Your out yard bees are using the propolis to control the SHB. This is a good genetic adaptation.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 05:15:18 pm »
Didn?t think of that. Good point Jim.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 01:41:49 pm »
Location, location location. A lot depends on the dominant drones in your micro environment. Where we are the local mongrels are fierce, infecund and basically everything you do not want in a honey bee. Yet the local beekeeping associations tell everyone how wonderful it is keeping local native bees. PAH.
I buy expensive breeder queens to breed my own stock from, and boy does it make a huge difference. My compatriot's are harvesting 30-60lbs of honey per year and being chased around their apiary for their paltry harvest whilst I regularly take 200lb + per year (weather permitting....this year has started as the pants).
Problem I have is they provide the predominant drones in my area hence within a couple of generations I'm back to being chased and stung around mine. No fun.
My solution, was to set up a second apiary site about 1/2 a mile away and use this to provide drones for home apiary and visa versa. As they now provide the majority of nearest drones in the area. It seems to be doing the job as I can get to about F3  generation from breeder queen before the temper issues start to flare.
30 miles away the local mongrels are so tame and docile no-one buys breeder queens, mind they don't get much honey....

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 07:57:55 am »
I have seen this.  I have also seen changes over time in all the yards even though I'm raising my own queens and selecting what I want.  Like you, changes in propolis use, color, temperament etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 09:24:07 pm »
Nigel I hate to hear that but as Michael stated I also have seen this they are purged, I think purging the bad and keeping the good is a sound strategy.