Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AFB in NZ  (Read 341 times)

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
AFB in NZ
« on: May 15, 2024, 06:35:12 pm »
This would break my heart:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/516930/beekeeper-steven-brown-furious-over-destruction-of-2m-honey-crop

In Australia we do have access to heat treatment ( I send all my deadouts to a bloke who has an approved set-up - just in case)
We also have a Gamma facilty but it is expensive.
It appears NZ does not have such a facility.
This looks like gear in good condition.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: AFB in NZ
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 06:41:24 pm »
That is sad and unfortunate.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 08:19:07 pm »
   I know about twenty years ago.. There was a Gamma facilty.. About an hour and fifty minutes from my house.. It was very competitive about the first five years.. For about the last fifteen years. This inflation has killed it.. The price of everything going up.. And bee equipment did not go off nearly as much.. Cheaper, just to buy new and start over again...  When all the costs are considered.

BEE HAPPY  Jim134.  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 07:02:18 am »
Why is it that I they are only burning equipment. AFB is on the bees. Did they move the bees to new hives?
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 08:38:16 am by BeeMaster2 »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 08:25:40 am »
No, the bees are killed with a cup of Petrol ( Gasoline)  or a Phosphane ( I think it is called ) tablet.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 09:12:20 am »
Why is it that I they are only burning equipment. AFB is on the bees. Did they move the bees to new hives?
Jim Altmiller

Good questions Jim. The article did not say, (anywhere that I could find), whether the bees were destroyed or moved. . .

It did say:
"The loss of the boxes is one thing, but without the boxes for the hives we won't have a honey crop."

Which might easily lead one to think they did indeed move the bees.  Had they said >without bees or boxes< there would have been no question about it.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 12:11:51 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 11:07:12 am »
How terrible.  A beekeeper's worst nightmare.  :cry:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2024, 11:26:53 am »
How terrible.  A beekeeper's worst nightmare.  :cry:

So True!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.