Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tornado hit yesterday  (Read 387 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Tornado hit yesterday
« on: May 11, 2024, 11:10:46 am »
Yesterday while I was eating breakfast it started getting really dark and the winds suddenly picked up. I knew we would have trees and power lines down so I quickly changed from shorts to long pants and my fire shirt while stuffing my breakfast down. I didn?t even finish when the first call came in so. I was getting in my truck ant the wind was blowing sideways. I got my brush truck and started clearing trees from my area. It was so bad that my chief had to set up an incident command. The radio was going non stop until 11:30 AM and then the calls slowed down. At one point, while i was several miles away, I realized that there were a lot of calls on the dirt road next to my property. Power was out in the whole northern part of the county and there is no cell service so there was no way of call home or even have dispatch call my house. When I got home I was immediately told that we were hit, all of the lived in houses were in tact as well as the barns but all the hives were strewn apart. Several trees were snapped or up rooted lots of fences damaged. One unoccupied house is severely damaged with large branches on the roof. A wood working shop was destroyed.
We still don?t have power, I?m on generator and the internet just came up.
Right after I got home Judy, Oida, my sister in law and I put all of the hives back together as best as I could. Not sure I put all of boxes in the right place. I will have to check to see if any of them lost their queens or not. I will give them a few days to fix the mess before I inspect them.
The second one is after I put them back together.
The third one is a large cedar tree right next to my house, I suspect the winds twisted right over this tree to snap it like that. The house is just a few feet from where the top of the tree is. The fourth one is a tree on the work shop. It is a total loss.
I have to get to work. More photos to come.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Tornado hit yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 01:37:08 pm »
Oh, that's horrible. Hope things turn out more better than worse for you. Glad that it wasn't worse as well.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 02:28:26 pm »
Oh no!  So sorry to hear that, Jim.  Seems we're having a rash of disasters on the forum lately, what with Matt's tree as well!  :sad:  We actually had a tornado just south of here on Thursday, obviously an extreme rarity in the mountains.  There were no witnesses, but some campers discovered the evidence and reported it to NOAA.  It ran about 6 miles. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 03:56:42 pm »
Hate to see you have so much damage. Good to know your house and people are ok.
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 04:12:46 pm »
Sorry to see that.  Looks like you did a great job of putting things back together and hopefully without too much loss.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 05:13:38 pm »
Feeling for you, Jim.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 06:23:04 pm »
Thanks everyone. My daughter, her 2 daughters and a friend with 2 of his sons came over and we got most of the trees cut up and put in stacks. Now I will just use my tractor to put them in a big pile and burn them when they dry.
The first picture is looking in the door of the workshop.
The second is the top of a pine tree that snapped about 15 feet in the air even though there was no previous damage to it.
The third is a tree that uprooted and pulled one fence post straight up and and snapped the connentung 4x4 in half.
The fourth is one part of a tree that fell right up against the house. Other big branches from this tree are on the roof of this house.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 06:24:56 pm »
 :shocked:  My word, that was a close call with the house!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 06:31:12 pm »
Sorry to hear that Jim. At least everyone is OK. Take care.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 07:36:01 pm »
Very sorry to see all this damage.
On my outyards I keep straps on - just in case.
Wish we could do the same with our homes.

I have 3 tress I would like to take down.
It has been so wet here and I can't get anybody to lend a hand.
I keep all trees well away from our place now.
All the best to you and family

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 08:42:08 pm »
Thanks Les and Max.
Still no power here. Still cutting trees off fences. That will be going on for a few more days and repairing fences.
All and all we were very lucky.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 09:56:26 pm »
Hey buddy, tried to call if you need a hand give me a ring.
Bill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2024, 10:21:56 pm »
Thanks Bill.
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2024, 11:57:40 pm »
Wow, so sorry to hear Jim, I wish I was nearby to help you clean up and set things right
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2024, 12:00:33 am »
Jim, I have had a very busy day. I have checked in to Beemaster off and on but never really dig into most of the post, which were >plenty< today. I just now read this one.

I am so sorry for your losses. The best I know to say Jim, is God Bless You. God Bless Judy, Wesley, and family. . You are >so generous< in giving to your community. It is my prayer that God >himself< will bless you in his way by his hand.

Sincerely,
Phillip 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 08:06:27 am by BeeMaster2 »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2024, 08:05:42 am »
Thanks Occam.
Appreciate that Ben.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2024, 08:24:23 am »
Power came back on last night about 9:00. I?m glad that?s on, we?re getting back to normal.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2024, 11:46:37 pm »
That's progress, a good step forward
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

anything