Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: F150 Lightning gets the thumbs down by one owner.  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: F150 Lightning gets the thumbs down by one owner.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 08:53:52 am »
It is true there is not enough infrastructure to support long haul road trips for electric vehicles.  But why oh why are people taking full size trucks on any long road trip?  That is what is wrong with people.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 09:06:23 am »
Ace,
They haul large travel trailers, boats, large trailers for bringing back materials and that is their main vehicle to get around. They can also bring back large loads in the back of the truck. If you work a farm, you need a heavy duty truck. I use a Tundra but my buddy uses 2 Ram 5500s. He hauls 38 to 42 rolls of hay per vehicle. He and I also haul our tractors on the trailers. Let me see you do any of that with your little gas mizer sub compact. Jim Altmiller 😀
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 10:24:43 am »
56 dollars - on a two hour recharge good for 215 miles.. Then no recharge available... Pitiful.... 
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 10:25:44 am »
Ace, guess I have something wrong with me too :happy: The last road trip, wife and I took my light duty truck .. a Titan crew cab (and a utility trailer). She got dropped with friends and relatives while I worked ..... and we had nights/afternoons together. Had room for luggage, tools, furniture to give to relatives etc. Longer, heavier hauls are for the F250 diesel ... glad I don't need bigger than that.
We do take trips in her car too, but I tend to look on the internet for deals on equipment and such on the route of the trip before we leave... so, back to truck. If it's just me needing to be somewhere or joining her later on a trip, go the fuel efficient route with the Sportster (she absolutely refuses to get on a motorcycle).
And I'm just a regular old carpenter.
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 12:13:40 pm »
But why oh why are people taking full size trucks on any long road trip?  That is what is wrong with people.

What's wrong with people is that they think it's their business to ask why.  I have had to haul livestock across the country, move people and stuff, pick up and take kids to school with all their stuff, and shift furniture.  I may need to do that again soon and the trip is

I might not use the truck for every long drive.  When I need to use it, I need it to get farther down the road than a couple of 100 miles before requiring a hours long fuel up. 

Might be doing that again in a bit and the trip is over 700 miles each way much of it through country that doesn't have gas stations, much less electric charging stations and hotels to stay in while I wait for it to charge.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 12:21:32 pm »
They haul large travel trailers, boats, large trailers for bringing back materials and that is their main vehicle to get around. They can also bring back large loads in the back of the truck. If you work a farm, you need a heavy duty truck.
I might not use the truck for every long drive.  When I need to use it, I need it to get farther down the road than a couple of 100 miles before requiring a hours long fuel up. 
These are the same kinds of things we are planning on using an electric truck for when we get one, hauling hay, taking the boat to the lake, driving into town to get groceries.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 01:52:45 pm »
These are the same kinds of things we are planning on using an electric truck for when we get one, hauling hay, taking the boat to the lake, driving into town to get groceries.

And that's fine if you are doing short distances.  If you have to drive over a big mountain pulling a trailer to get 10 tons of hay, you are not going to do it with an electric truck.

I don't have a problem with people owning them if it works for them.  I have a problem with them being mandated for people like me, who can't use one with the limitations they have, not to mention the up front cost of the vehicle and the unreliable electric infrastructure.

Where my parents live, they turn the power off when the wind blows.  It's often off for days because they can't just throw a switch and turn it back on.  After our fires a couple of years ago, and the power company being sued, they are going to start doing the same thing here.  I don't want to be stuck out here with an electric vehicle and no power for days.  It seems impractical at best. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 02:47:00 pm »
 ... maybe that ford lightning would be ok with a big diesel generator in the bed to recharge it ... :cheesy:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 03:01:08 pm »
... maybe that ford lightning would be ok with a big diesel generator in the bed to recharge it ... :cheesy:

Ford lightning (hybrid) on steroids!  :wink:

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 03:03:22 pm »
And that's fine if you are doing short distances.  If you have to drive over a big mountain pulling a trailer to get 10 tons of hay, you are not going to do it with an electric truck.
:grin:  No, nothing like that.  We have a hay guy a few towns over, and we get a few round bales from him every couple of months.  Right now my dad can only haul one bale at a time using our Suburban and a small trailer.  We should be able to do it in one trip once we have a pickup truck. 

I don't have a problem with people owning them if it works for them.  I have a problem with them being mandated for people like me, who can't use one with the limitations they have, not to mention the up front cost of the vehicle and the unreliable electric infrastructure.
I completely get it.  If we were taking a long trip, this truck is not the car we'd use.  And I'd hate to be in a position where this was the only vehicle we had.  Heck, only about half of us can fit in it.  :grin:

Where my parents live, they turn the power off when the wind blows.  It's often off for days because they can't just throw a switch and turn it back on.  After our fires a couple of years ago, and the power company being sued, they are going to start doing the same thing here.  I don't want to be stuck out here with an electric vehicle and no power for days.  It seems impractical at best. 

We're planning on using the truck as a component of a solar setup.  The truck can be a part of the battery system, since it has bi-directional charging, which is how we are justifying the price.  It's essentially a battery we can also drive.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 03:07:21 pm »
We're planning on using the truck as a component of a solar setup.  The truck can be a part of the battery system, since it has bi-directional charging, which is how we are justifying the price.  It's essentially a battery we can also drive. 

For your intentions I like the idea of solar incorporated. What kind of solar setup will be large enough to fit the bill?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 03:39:11 pm »
What kind of solar setup will be large enough to fit the bill?

That and what's the cost vs return potential as opposed to a solar generator? 

My calculation with solar panels where I live is that I'd be well dead before I came close to breaking even.  As a SHTF thing, it would be worth considering if there was a good storage option, but the same problem exists with wind.  The solar generator seems to solve the storage issue and I probably get enough sun even in winter to charge the thing, but the big ones are spendy!

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 07:46:16 pm »
For your intentions I like the idea of solar incorporated. What kind of solar setup will be large enough to fit the bill?
We had a contractor out to give us an estimate a few years ago, I think their recommendation was a 15.3 kW system. 

That and what's the cost vs return potential as opposed to a solar generator? 

My calculation with solar panels where I live is that I'd be well dead before I came close to breaking even.  As a SHTF thing, it would be worth considering if there was a good storage option, but the same problem exists with wind.  The solar generator seems to solve the storage issue and I probably get enough sun even in winter to charge the thing, but the big ones are spendy!
It's kind of my dad's thing, so I don't know all the details, but nothing is set in stone yet, so it's possible we'd incorporate a generator into the system.  We are still a few years down the road from implementing any of this.  Our property is too shaded for solar to be viable, but there is a parcel of land that abuts us which is cleared (or used to be, the forest has been overtaking it for several years now), and if we are able to purchase that property, it will open up a lot of options for us, including solar. 

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2023, 11:50:32 pm »
Our property is too shaded for solar to be viable

That's my problem along with being in a gully and our 9 months of very little sun.  I will say that the ability of the solar panels to collect in lower light is improved, but not enough to make it cost effective for me.  My son in TX had them put on his roof and it's working for him, but he has to look into the storage issue. 

I don't have an issue with any of it if it's a choice, it just has not penciled out for us.  Our best bet would be wind as a backup with a battery storage system.  It would still be hit and miss, but less expensive and longer lasting.  I did have a hand pump put on the old well, so the water issue is solved.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2023, 06:49:15 am »
I have 32 solar panels on my barn that feed the house and barn. That is a 10 KW system. That is the most that our electric company allows on residential units. Problem is the hat I never got 10 KW even at peak hours. That is due in o the large amount of moisture in the air and system loses. The highest that I have seen is 7KW on rare occasions. During the summer i almost never make enough power to break even. Usually there are so many clouds in the sky blocking the sun and due to a he heat and humidity, the three AC units are running most of the time. During the spring and fall, I usually make a little more power than I need. 😊
I need to add a few more panels so that I can actually produce 10KW at peak hours. It is expensive, so far I?ve spent over $32.000.
The electric bills used to run $250 and up a month now it is between $30 to $95. The $3o is due to a $35 minimum monthly fee per meter. Before I put the solar in I had two meters, I had them connect the barn to the house as part of the job. That is a $420 per year savings.
Many electric companies pay you back what they charge for power. Ours only pays $.03 a kilowatt compared to $.12 a KW cost. Something to consider.
My cousin lives in NJ. He put 2 systems on his roof. That is large enough for his house, barn and 2 Tesla?s. On top of that the state of NJ pays him $200 per month per system. Several states do the same, not FL. That will make solar pay for itself.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2023, 08:23:15 am »
I knew most of you would get your panties in a knot.  If you have a truck because you need a truck then you should have a truck.  I had a Ford, a Toyota, Dodges and now a minivan.  You can't plow 3 ft of snow with a Kia but I didn't use the plow trucks to vacation in FL. or commute to work.  Drive 95 and count the gas guzzlers flying up and down the interstate with nothing in tow or loaded and only the driver in the vehicle.  Look in the driveways of the million dollar + homes with not one but two trucks and they ain't haulen nothing.  Ah yes, the republicans are great for making excuses for blowing the budget.  And you have to listen to them complain about gas prices.  There ain't a one that chooses their vehicle based on the price of gas, they just keep winning.  Poor me and that Biden.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2023, 08:27:11 am »
It is expensive, so far I?ve spent over $32.000.
... That is a $420 per year savings.
So was it the government hand out that convinced you to make such a terrible investment?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 09:16:48 am »
It is expensive, so far I?ve spent over $32.000.
... That is a $420 per year savings.
So was it the government hand out that convinced you to make such a terrible investment?
Ace,
I did get back about $11,000 in tax reductions. That does make it a little cheaper.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2023, 09:31:47 am »
Ace,
There is another reason to drive big trucks.
As a firefighter I see all kinds of accidents. If seen large pickups rip 4 10-12 pine trees out of the ground and the driver walked away. My daughter?s boyfriend had his three daughters in a pickup and had a head on collision with a small car. Airbag broke his jawbone and the girls only had seatbelt bruises. I helped peal the woman out of her car, broken leg, arm internal injury and massive facial injuries. We life flighted her to a trauma center.
It is pretty much the same thing with most small car collisions, whether it is a tree/barrier or another vehicle. Most of the passengers in large vehicles walk away.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin