Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Cell Question - Frames  (Read 1813 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Small Cell Question - Frames
« on: July 03, 2006, 11:30:33 am »
With my small cell set ups, I trimmed the end bars down in order to fit 11 frames into 1 box.  I think it was something like 1/16 of an inch on each side.  My question is, since I still have a lot of assembled frames which haven't been trimmed down, is it necessary to trim them down for small cell use?  Will the bees muck up their foundation if I allow them to draw on these frames?  The reason I'm asking is because it's a pain in the butt to trim these assembled frames down.  A manual plane doesn't work too well, and I don't have an electric one (if that would even work, I'm not sure).  I've been trimming the unassembled end bars with a table saw, which worked well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 07:41:14 pm »
>I think it was something like 1/16 of an inch on each side.

That's correct.

> My question is, since I still have a lot of assembled frames which haven't been trimmed down, is it necessary to trim them down for small cell use?

It's not necessary.  Although, if they are not nailed from the side it's easy enough.  As with many things with bees you just try to stack the deck to get what you want.  They tend to build smaller cells with the tighter spacing.  Left to themselves they tend to build the tighter spacing too.  So it's an advantage, but not a necessity.

> Will the bees muck up their foundation if I allow them to draw on these frames?

Not necessarily.

> The reason I'm asking is because it's a pain in the butt to trim these assembled frames down. A manual plane doesn't work too well, and I don't have an electric one (if that would even work, I'm not sure). I've been trimming the unassembled end bars with a table saw, which worked well.

A table saw is much easier to use on assembled frames than unassmebled frames.  You have a wonderful handle on the assembled ones to hold the frame while you run the end bar through.  I never cut them down before I assemble them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 02:15:01 am »
They tend to build smaller cells with the tighter spacing.

This is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the reply!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Dale

• New Bee
    • Northeastern PA Beekeeping
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 10:11:25 pm »
Use a table saw.  I have been trimming them down, comb and all sometimes right on the table saw.  Just crank the blade up a little higher.  Just be careful when you do it.  And yes, you bees will make a mess out of your comb if you don't.  I made splits, and added 1 3/8 wide frames, and they drew it out poorly, but next to those were the 1 1/4 and those were fine.
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA
www.hazleton.net/users/dalcol

anything