Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive question  (Read 1656 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
hive question
« on: July 01, 2006, 06:02:38 pm »
I belive hive #5 is honey bound.  I spotted queen but not any brood or eggs.  All 8 frames are 100% full of honey and pollen stores with no where for her to lay.  I belive my plan of action will be to throw away the queen excluder and add another deep on top move the full frames to the top deep and empty frames back in the bottom, return the 2 med supers on top of the 2 deeps.

Is this the correct plan of action?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
hive question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 04:59:07 am »
Yes, you don't have to throw the excluder away as there are a few isolated uses for it.

How many times must we repeat--A queen excluder is a honey excluder.  The bees will often fill the hive full of honey until its honey bound or swarm or both rather than cross the barrier the excluder represents.  You now have first hand experience with this phenomonon.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
hive question
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 08:07:55 pm »
An excluder makes a great bottom to an uncapping bin.  :)  It's also handy for certain mainulations like finding a very hard to fnid queen.

I have a few around here and I use one now and then.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything