Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lets Go Fishing!  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Lets Go Fishing!
« on: April 05, 2023, 12:01:09 pm »
Well fishermen and fisherladiers. It is crappie time in my area. I have not been yet. How is the fishing in your area? Have pictures?   :grin:

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Lets Go Fishing!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 07:16:54 pm »
I went for a bit of a session on the beach yesterday afternoon. Caught a few beach worms on the lower part of the tide and was then lucky enough to catch 10 whiting. They weren?t big fish but there was enough fillets for about 3 meals. They are my favourite eating fish and provide good sport on light gear. If I can get out again next week, I will post a few photos.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 07:31:15 pm »
It's a little cold for me to go out so you won't have to fight me for your favorite spot. Most of my fishing is done in Upstate, NY during late spring and summer and I don't even do that much recently. I went for salmon and halibut in AK last July and have another trip booked for 2025. 2024 was already booked up when I tried.

Last June when I went in NY, browns were eating worms like nothing I've seen before. Every cast a fish. I fish for keeps.

I took these in 1/2 hr or so.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 07:49:41 pm »
Nice catch Terri!!! Thanks for posting and the added picture!!

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 07:51:10 pm »
Les that sounds fun! Especially when you can catch your favorite flavored fish!

Phillip

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 10:53:42 pm »
It is good fun Phillip. Just over a week ago I had a few days up in the mountains with a couple of mates. Fly fishing for trout is one of my favourite pastimes. Having a fly line pulled through your fingers by a good fish that is on the run is an amazing sensation.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 11:03:58 pm »
Les I have no doubt that trout fishing as you describe is a thrill! In my area trout are not to be found. When I was a boy, I used to buy those 60 cent Outdoor Life as well as Field & stream and Sports Afield magazines. I always wished to try my hand at fly fishing. There was an outdoor writer from my State of Mississippi who would regularly go out West on such adventures and write of such in those magazines. He also wrote of many other type of hunting and fishing adventures. His name was Bruce Brady and he was from Brookhaven, Mississippi..  Thanks for rekindling those memories!!

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 12:39:54 am »
Fly fishing is HUGE in my area, although I've never done it myself.  We just chuck bait for trout in the summer.  We had a really poor trout fishing season last summer though.  We had very little rain, and the river was just too low and the water too warm for the trout.  We have brown, brook, and rainbow trout, all stocked in our river by the state wildlife commission.  Upstream from where I live we also have native brooks and semi-native browns in wild waters, where the trout populations are self-sustaining.  What kind of trout are you fishing for, Les?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 12:58:10 am »
Hi Reagan,

We fish for browns and rainbows. The browns are self sustaining and the rainbows are stocked. I was fishing on Lake Eucumbene which is a large lake of about 30km in length and is a part of the Snowy Hydro Scheme that generates a lot of power to supplement electricity to the main grid. It is about 4000 ft above sea level which means that the water is generally cool and supports good populations of trout. The streams feeding the lakes also hold fish.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2024, 02:02:10 am »
The grandson and I took the boat out for a session this morning. It was a little cool early but it warmed up quickly. The wind picked up early so we only had about an hour and a half on the water. It was still enough time to catch 9 fish for this evenings dinner. We all love a fresh feed of fish and chips. I just realised that my boat is getting a bit long in the tooth. It?s been 20 years since I built it. Gee time passes quickly.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2024, 07:13:07 am »
And you even built your own boat? That?s awesome. What species of fish do you have?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2024, 10:42:09 am »
Just a few fish caught over the holiday.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2024, 03:57:36 am »
Hi Terri,

I built the boat 20 years ago when I had some leave from work. As my wife had only just secured permanent work, we couldn?t travel so I wanted something to due to during the 10 weeks holiday time. I?d never welded aluminium before so I thought it would be a good challenge. It took me about 3 months to make it and it was a lot of fun. I?ll see if I can come up with a photo. It has served me well over the years. The fish I was chasing with the grandson is called flathead. They look a bit like a narrow catfish without the whiskers. They are one of the best eating fish in Australia and are quite plentiful in shallow waters off the coast. We caught these fish in about 130? on a sandy bottom. Didn?t have any bait in the freezer so I grabbed some raw chicken thigh fillet that I?d thrown out the night before. The fish loved it an gobbled it up.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2024, 07:45:00 am »
I?m not familiar with all of the species of catfish but catching them at depths would be fun. We might have a different name for that same fish here. I take it that that?s not meters. I find it interesting that fish that are found here are also found elsewhere in the world.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2024, 09:14:17 am »
>The fish I was chasing with the grandson is called flathead. They look a bit like a narrow catfish without the whiskers. They are one of the best eating fish in Australia

We have a catfish here we call flathead as well Les. Good tasting fish.

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2024, 12:17:51 pm »
We've had terrible luck trout fishing again this year, although again we're having very little rain.  3 rods in the water once a week since delayed harvest began in June, and the only fish anyone has even reeled in was one that wasn't worth keeping.  We did see some good sized trout in the river a few weeks ago, but nothing would convinced them to take the hook. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2024, 12:43:01 pm »
We've had terrible luck trout fishing again this year, although again we're having very little rain.  3 rods in the water once a week since delayed harvest began in June, and the only fish anyone has even reeled in was one that wasn't worth keeping.  We did see some good sized trout in the river a few weeks ago, but nothing would convinced them to take the hook.
When it gets warm, our trout are easiest to catch on a fly. I have not fly fished myself so I am only speaking from what I have seen and heard. I had one once that I was watching take flies but wouldn't even look at my crawler, no matter how much I tried.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2024, 02:10:49 pm »
Yeah, we're just bait chuckers here.  We do own one fly rod, but no one has really taken the time to learn how to use it. 

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2024, 03:24:13 pm »
I'm in the same boat. I have a flyrod somewhere and even took an all day course on using it but never did. I'm mostly a worm fisherman but when trolling, I use lures. Face it, most everything eats worms and they're usually easy to find wherever fishing is around.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2024, 04:33:22 pm »
We typically use corn.  I'll use drones whenever I pull a frame where they are developed enough to put on a hook (if they don't have their exoskeletons yet, they are just too mushy).  I've been trying these little pink plastic trout worms too this year, but nothing doing.  We've also tried Powerbait in the past because that was recommended to us by a local guy, but we didn't have much luck with it.  My dad did manage to catch a smallmouth bass at the lake early in the summer, but that's the only fish anyone has kept all year.  And one bass isn't enough for a meal!  :angry: