Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Steam Cleaning Your Woodware Equipment  (Read 3423 times)

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Steam Cleaning Your Woodware Equipment
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 08:15:57 am »
Beekeepers here in the State of Arkansas are fortunate in that AFB infections are very low.  I have seen infections in hives owned by my friends only twice in over 40 years, and never in my hives.  Four or five years ago at the State Beekeepers Association meeting the State Apiarist said that only eleven cases had been found in over 6000 hives checked.

Cleaning of boxes is easily done, and a pressure washer removes as many spores as does scorching. Trying to render old brood comb is a waste of time, as is refurbishing old frames. 

In our climate hive bodies are easily protected with a copper naphthenate dip and they can then be painted if desired.

As Oldbeavo said, many things beekeepers do are not cost effective, and the effort would be better spent in the bees.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 08:51:43 am »
Moved to A Unique Way to Render Wax

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:58:19 am by Ben Framed »
Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 11:58:35 am »
AR it is good to know that AFB is not such a overwhelming problem there in Arkansas, especially since I am in your neighboring state. Perhaps we can enjoy the same as you all. I have never heard of anyone getting it here but I have only been beekeeping for two years, (except the few times I helped my uncle when I was a boy and experianced the German Black Bee that we talked about on another topic lol), and do not belong to a club or know many beekeepers in my area. What few I do know I have not discussed AFB. Thanks for your post. You always put out good information.

Phillip

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:21:55 pm by Ben Framed »
Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

anything