Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Underestimated the bees  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Haveuseen1?

• New Bee
Underestimated the bees
« on: February 06, 2019, 02:14:15 pm »
Went into the winter with two hives, both in double 8 frame deeps. One hive seemed to just never get it together last year, and I wasnt really convinced it would winter over.  The other hive just boomed all last year and was quite impressive.  So to be safe, I ordered a package for a March delivery back in December to replace the hive that I was sure would fail.

Both of my hives are looking exceptional, and honestly the one that I thought would fail, looks to be the stronger of the two.  I have two extra 8 frame hives ( 2 deep, and 2 mediums per hive )  and 2 five frame nucs.  I guess I will house the package in a hive, split an existing hive into the other 8 frame, and if I have to split again, I can use the nucs.  I can pick up a couple of  local queens early April for the splts.

Here I thought I was going to have some extra equipment.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Underestimated the bees
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:23:54 pm »
That's awesome. A great problem to have!   :happy:

It's amazing to me, how they transition in size and health throughout the year.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Underestimated the bees
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:31:32 pm »
CoolBee X2.  Well said.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

anything