Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm traps - best method?  (Read 5815 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
Re: Swarm traps - best method?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 07:41:28 pm »

I don't know if this will work because I haven't tried it yet. It was easy to build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 09:47:41 pm »
The traps a Bud's every year was a box with a hole in the bottom for the bees to get in, and trap door to open and dump the bees out into a hive box.  He would have a small medicine bottle with a small hole in it I believe.  In the bottle was a cotton ball with a drop or two, not to much of lemon grass oil.  He would have several traps like this out, and most would have bees in them.  They had a small rope tied to it, the rope was over a limb, it was pulled up close to the limb and the other end was tied off to something close by.  When you got ready you untied the rope, let it down and got the bees.  Some would have started building comb on the sides.  Every year I went he would have out these traps.

Good luck to you and your bees,

Joe D
I have put out traps, but where ever I have bees I will have a hive box with old comb close by.  If one of my hives swarm, they will go there or if a wild hive come by it will take the box.  I catch a swarm or two most years that way.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 11:21:20 pm »
I have caught a lot of swarms in my traps hanging from pulleys. Last year I added boxes on my phone booth, one on a shelf in the top of a shed in my neighbors yard and a 5 box stack of empty supers with frames in the top super. Caught 3 swarms in phone booth boxes then a swarm moved into the 5 frame deep and the next day a Hugh swarm moved into the stack of supers.
Every swarm has its preference.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 02:09:49 am »
Im going to build some boxs this weekend hopefully...  i need to get some out asap.  I got bees here and there around the house already..

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 12:53:24 pm »
Thanks for the tip.

anything