Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Removal Fee?  (Read 4826 times)

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
Bee Removal Fee?
« on: September 20, 2016, 12:00:16 pm »
Hi Guys :) So I received another call about removing some bees out of an attic. I haven't yet seen it nor talked to the guy, but they're up in a ceiling. I am NOT doing thAt again for free! lol so I wonder what is a good price to charge? Do you have a base price? I'm talking bee removal only. No structural repair. Does it depend...on what?
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bee Removal Fee?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:09:29 pm »
Yvonne,
Minimum $250 for an easy job. $400 for one that is hard to work, hard to get to. Try to get a good idea of what you are getting into before you quote a price.
$400 minimum for commercial property.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:42 pm »
Ok Thanks Jim. That sounds good. I was thinking $250 at a minimum. I just talked to him and I'll take my hubby's snake camera over there on Sunday and take a look. They're in a back corner under the eaves behind some old roof part lol
GO BEES!

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:23:57 pm »
Base price of 300. Includes first 4 hours.
100 per hour after 4 quoted, but I seldom add that.
100 extra if they have been sprayed.
100 if I use my scaffolding.
100 extra if I go up in a bucket truck they hire.
There may be other extras after I see the job.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 01:05:20 pm »
Holy moly iddee that adds up. What makes them want to spend that much money to get the nest removed rather than just trying to seal it themselves? What do you tell them? My guy sounds like he's been trying all summer and realized they'll just find another way unless the whole thing is removed.
GO BEES!

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 04:35:13 pm »
The last one I know tried it, and it worked. They all died and it only cost him 3800 to replace the sheetrock, insulation, etc. after 50lb. of honey came seeping through.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 08:34:21 pm »
i charge  between 300- 600.00 depends on what is needed. if i need scafoling they supply or charge the cost for it upfront. no repairs involved because not a contractor.

john

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 11:02:04 pm »
I am in the $250 range as well...I tell em my fee is $75 an hour with a 3 hour minimum (250).....if they balk and want a solid number its minimum $500 :-)

But like Jim said depends on the complexity of the job....don't be afraid to walk away.  If they get confrontational or come off as cheap its better to turn tail and run and not deal with the problems that are guaranteed at the end of the job.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 09:24:54 am »
I'd charge whatever you want.   You know what it takes - all day discomfort and hard work.   Explain  that if they try to seal it up themselves, that honey is not going to stay put and it will draw a lot of other insects before it comes through the drywall.   They can pay you now and get it taken care of by a pro, or they can pay later and have four times the mess.   

After doing it myself once, I wouldn't charge less than $500.    If it goes well and fast, you can always come down a bit in price at the end of the day.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 03:59:41 pm »
Get a contract. It'll save you in a lawsuit - I'd think.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 12:07:32 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. My husband is going to look into putting me on his contractors insurance. What about it being so late in the season? They most likely won't make it, right? The homeowner mentioned that they would hibernate soon and won't bite anyone anymore. lol He had been stung 4 times and has renters in that house. Because of that, I would think, it would be best to get rid of them now. For the bees though, it would be better to let them bee until spring and then cut out, no? It seems like a lot of people are into "what's good for the bees" these days, as even this home owner proved.
GO BEES!

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 12:27:11 pm »
I have quit doing cutouts for the season. I won't take on a job again until spring. The bees won't make it, so why work that hard if they are going to die anyway? I don't do it for the money. I do it for the bees and the bee PR.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 04:11:02 pm »
MT Bee Girl, another advantage of a contract is you both have a written understanding in front of you.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 07:46:24 pm »
im with iddee  :cry:. its to late in season to do removals. :cry: I got a call today for a removal. told them to late to do removal this year. they said they dont care they want them out. i cant do it anyhow because of my arm so i have them calling another beek that does wildlife removal for a living. hes small time busness and it supports him and his family. he may be able to get them thru the winter because we dont get much snow. and iff he needs to he can get frames of honey for them from me sence i am not pulling hone this fall. alot in doning removals is location. south ga. do them 11 months a year. here where i am in middle ga. i can do removals 9-10 months a year.  it depends on your temp averages and best guess on the coming winter. they expect a warrm one here this year.but just west in alb. they get alot colder and more snow and on the same lontit;ude.

john

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 06:09:02 pm »
It occurs to me that there are two issues here.

1.   The removal of the hive/honey. [Can be done any time, dependent on the urgent need of the homeowner]
2.  The rescue and relocation of the bees. [Can be done only in spring/summer to give them a chance to build up and survive the winter.

As beeks we tend to focus on #2, but #1 is significant, too.   

I know I'd be direct and explain the two issues to the homeowner and ask which is more important to them.    Do they want the bees OUT  more than they care about the rescue?    Then do the removal regardless of time of year.

If they want to rescue the bees more than get them out, then wait.   But explain those consequences, too.

Some beeks will only want to do rescues and wouldn't consider a removal without rescue.    Others [including myself] would do a removal even if it meant losing the bees - as long as everybody understands the options and consequences and is on the same page. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Thebulimicbee

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 11:29:53 pm »
I charge a max of 250.00 for a removal, most of the time about 200.00 I want to save the bees and charge a reasonable price keeping in mind the homeowner repair cost. Once the price starts getting over 250.00 in my area I start to see people looking at other options. plus I think that is what a removal is worth. Once in a while there might be a extra big or hard one, but most removals only take a couple hours.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 10:25:16 am »
I wish removals only took a cople hours. to me a properr removal takes time. it can average about 6-8 hours not including travel time. for me. pllus the pre inspection . I take my time to make sure what i;m cutting. last thing you want to do is start cuting and find a hot wire hidden in wall that should not be there. or a copper water line. plus after doing the cutout it it can take a hour allow just cleaning out the cavity and the work area. I dont give a per hour rate to the customer but i base it on a average of 50.00 per hour.

john

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 10:10:33 pm »
Well I went and met with the home owner today. We tried to see with my camera but the hole he drilled was awkward and the angle didn't allow me to see anything. I explained to him that it was very late in the season, etc, but just by hearing him and his wife, I could tell they've had enough and just want them out. I told them I would do either. Wait and do it in the spring or get it done now. I do have resources I can give them plus what I cut out and told them I'd give the bees a good fighting chance if he wanted to do it now. It sounds like now is what they'd prefer so I'll do it.

So when you're done,...you basically just remove the bees and let the home owner take care of any hole plugging and such?

Also, as gsf suggests, I think a contract wouldn't bee a bad idea. Does anyone by chance have a generic contract you would be willing to share? Or what would be some important things a contract should state?
GO BEES!

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 10:23:29 pm »
I tell them the bees are worth 100 dollars, so I charge 100 more this time of year than I do in the spring because I can't save the bees without spending 100 on them to get them through the winter.

I have been doing removals for 40 years and have never had a contract. If I felt I needed one with a particular customer, I would just walk away and not do it for any price.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 10:49:16 pm »
I tell them the bees are worth 100 dollars, so I charge 100 more this time of year than I do in the spring because I can't save the bees without spending 100 on them to get them through the winter.

I have been doing removals for 40 years and have never had a contract. If I felt I needed one with a particular customer, I would just walk away and not do it for any price.

Spoken like a man whose word is his bond, but what aboit the scoundrel who talks a good game but turns on you afterward, like certain people running for president and her husband have done?  Then there's lots of work for my former profrssion.  Ever heard the saying among lawyers that a town that can't support a lawyer can support two?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944