Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which Extractor?  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Caribou

• House Bee
Which Extractor?
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:30:34 pm »
I have made it through my first season.  I had a ton of fun and I want to get more involved.  My next big consideration is an extractor.  I want a motorized extractor as I want more hives than I am willing to spin by hand.

I am currently looking at the Lyson W230  8/20 Frame  and the Mann Lake 9/18 Frame.

Any comments on these or others would be appreciated.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from poor judgement.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Which Extractor?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:21:52 pm »
Personally I prefer the direct drive of the ML.  It's $350 more that the Lyson but it's also free freight.  Not sure of that includes AK though.  The Lyson is Polish made and the ML is Italian made.  I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Caribou

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:35:30 pm »
Thanks for the input DC.  Not only does ML not ship free to Alaska but they don't even want to give you a break on the freight.  AK residents pay 100% of the freight and ML keeps as extra profit the money they had set aside for freight.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:45:31 pm »
I have the ML and I really like.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 08:25:21 am »
I have the mann lake 18/9. Is there any place to go to look at the yearly maintenance that should be done?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 08:42:36 am »
My first choice for an extracted would be a Maxant made in the USA Ayer Massachusetts. My second choice would be Lyson made in Poland distributed by Betterbee New York in the USA .

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 12:36:36 pm »
I have the mann lake 18/9. Is there any place to go to look at the yearly maintenance that should be done?
My Mann Lake 9/18 is almost all stainless steal. The only real maintenance needed is to make sure the bearing at the bottom of the drum is greased with food grade grease and check on the level of the basket. If the basket  loosens it can drop down to the point that the basket runs in the honey and bogs it down. If this happens you just loosen the set screws, raise it up and reset the set screws. The motor is designed to last for many many years.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 10:43:27 pm »
I have the Mann Lake 9/18 motorized.  I've never regretted it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Caribou

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 12:45:55 am »
Thanks guys, I settled on a ML 9/18 that I found locally.  Being here it solves the freight problems and the price is good.  Your input was both valuable and appreciated.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 01:06:05 am »
Caribou,
One thing that I did with my ML extractor was remove the super magnets from an old hard drive, be careful with them and keep them apart-I have received a few blood blisters when they snapped together on my fingers, and glued one on the lid where when it is open, the magnet hold the lid up. I put the other one on the leg and use it to hold the bearing and leg screws.
The reason I put the bearing on the magnet is because I take the motor and basket off of the drum and use the drum as a settelling tank. It holds 500 pounds of honey. Clean it out and don't forget to clean out the grease and remove the bearing, plug it on the magnet. Be sure to get some food grade grease for when you put it back together
Put your honey in it, cover it with plastic and let it sit for a week, then bottle your jars right from the valve.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 09:16:00 am »
If the basket  loosens it can drop down to the point that the basket runs in the honey and bogs it down.

From what I've heard this will take life off of the motor as well.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 10:29:42 am »
I wonder why when I am extracting I would not keep the honey open gate open??. Unless l were changing a bucket.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 12:32:35 pm »
If the basket  loosens it can drop down to the point that the basket runs in the honey and bogs it down.

From what I've heard this will take life off of the motor as well.
It happened to my extractor. Took a while to figure out what had happened. The motor survived quite well. It really slows it down a lot.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 12:35:50 pm »
I wonder why when I am extracting I would not keep the honey open gate open??. Unless l were changing a bucket.

When the basket dropped, it did not hit the bottom of the drum but it did reach the honey level even with the gate open. The gate is on the side of the drum and because of the nut and threads, the opening is raised off the bottom.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 03:21:37 pm »

When the basket dropped, it did not hit the bottom of the drum but it did reach the honey level even with the gate open. The gate is on the side of the drum and because of the nut and threads, the opening is raised off the bottom.
Jim

It looks like I'm not understanding the setup. I know on a Maxant basket rides on a ball bearing. The scenario describing would be impossible. Unless the honey gate was closed.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 09:40:30 pm »
Jim,
The basket assembly is not welded to the shaft. It has set screws that allow you to adjust it up or down. Mine slid down to the point that the bottom ring was in the honey.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 11:56:13 pm »
Jim,
The basket assembly is not welded to the shaft. It has set screws that allow you to adjust it up or down. Mine slid down to the point that the bottom ring was in the honey.
Jim
Thank you now I see why. This may be one of the reasons why Maxant is more expensive.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 12:17:24 am »
So pros and cons of the Mann Lake 18-9 And the Maxant 20F Semi Pro ? Help me out. Am I missing something, as I too may buy soon...

-The cost of the Maxant is about $250 or so more.
-You have to purchase the legs separate with the Maxant.
-The bottom of the Maxant in conical so this means more honey will drain to the bottom?
-I see the Maxant is a heavier gauge but the Mann lake is still pretty rugged.
John 3:16

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 12:51:28 am »
If you're shopping for price by a Chinese one. It's been my experience quality is always paid off.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 01:32:40 am »
If you're shopping for price by a Chinese one. It's been my experience quality is always paid off.

Not shopping for price when it is $250 difference over how many years use. Just wanted some real feedback.  Why one over the other...other than made in USA and supporting a homegrown company. Which in itself could be a reason..
John 3:16

anything