Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to feed without setting off robbing  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Springvalleybeekeeper

• New Bee
How to feed without setting off robbing
« on: August 01, 2016, 07:58:26 pm »
Hello, I am new to beekeeping. I'm using a division board feeders.  Every-time I fill up the feeders within a half hour my hives are covered with robbing hoards of honeybees. I have covered the hives with wet towels/ sheets and closed up the entrances.  I tried open feeders about 300 yards away from my hives with no results the only things that go to the open feeders are wasps and ants.  My hives are packages and not building up well. So how do I feed to build up their strength and slow down/ prevent robbing. I have also tried robbing screens with little luck.  I'd appreciate any help.  thanks Mark

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: How to feed without setting off robbing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:26 pm »
If you spill any outside the hive it may set off robbing. You could try the zip lock bag method.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 09:45:07 pm »
Try getting almond oil extract and spraying the tops of hives after you close them up to mask the smell of the syrup and detact bees from gathering on tops. Don't over fill the feeders. Fill no more than two thirds or half. If I drips out of the entrance it will start robbing.

John

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:29:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  What I don't understand is the why bee's ignore the open feeder with the same sugar syrup.  My thought was if I had an open feeder the robber bee's would go to an undefended feeder and leave my hives alone. Any ideas why they don't notice the open feeder ?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:04:41 pm »
Can the robbing be happening between your hives?_

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:25:10 pm »
I don't think so, the robbers are attacking all the hives at once. My neighbor has two strong Italian hives. I suspect they are the culprits.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 12:43:36 am »
Place the feeder closer to the area of your neighbors hives and see if that draws more bees. That may help in seeing if it's his hives. Plus it takes time for the information to get out that there is a feeder out.  If you have a flow on they may ignore the feeder altogether.

John

Offline Caribou

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 02:29:53 am »
Where are you at?  The advice you get will vary depending on your location.

If you have nectar flow then your bees may not need the sugar and could well ignore it.

You may well do better with a frame feeder or a hive top feeder.  These are easier for the bees to defend.  Also close off most of the opening so the ladies have a smaller area to defend.  I use small strips of soft foam but they make boards that are cut so you can vary the opening.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from poor judgement.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 05:27:40 am »
Robbing is NOT caused by feeding (*) - but by the excitement which feeding causes, which alerts the attention of 'robber scouts'.  So:

1. Feed last thing at night - just as the sun sets.
2. Only feed a quantity of syrup which can be consumed by the morning, by which time the excitement will have died down.
3. Reduce entrance size.
4. Fit mesh anti-robbing screens over the entrances.

(*)  especially sugar syrup, as it has no smell.  You can place a saucer of sugar syrup anywhere in the apiary - even during a dearth - and it will be ignored, until a bee happens upon it by chance.  Only then will it become an attractive source.  ( This is why beekeepers sometimes drip syrup down into a hive fitted with overhead inverted jar feeders - to initially 'give 'em a clue'. )
But if you try putting a saucer of honey out in an apiary, it will be engulfed by bees very quickly - the difference is due to the smell which honey gives off.

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 09:19:14 am »
I feed through the inner cover via a mason jar with holes poked in the lid. Works great down here.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 09:52:57 am »
I feed through the inner cover via a mason jar with holes poked in the lid. Works great down here.
This has worked very well for me to prevent robbing, however, I don't put the jar directly over the hole in case the jar leaks. 

There are only small holes in the lid of the jar which reduces the amount of scent that bees outside the hive can smell.  I suspect this is why I never have robbing with this method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 10:11:03 am »
300 yards is too far. 150-200' would be better. I open feed in 3 gallon buckets with floats. you never know what the girls will go after. last spring I was rearing 18 nucs & was open feeding 3-6 gallons per day. once the nucs were sold the buckets were ignored. I've had comb with honey ignored & 6' away they were all the filters from my wax melter that was full of subgum. I also use division board feeders & have never had robbing issues. boardman entrance feeders will set them off though. you say you're using robber screens. those should keep the robbers out of your hives. do you put vinegar or honey bee healthy in your syrup? they can set off robbing.

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 07:11:37 pm »
Thank all of You again for all the help!  I live in West Virginia, we've had a lot of rain and there is no flow on. I received an Email today from my local association warning than Honey stores are depleted and we should be feeding to supplement for the winter.  It seems the conditions are right for robbing.  I have closed all my entrances to one to two bee wide with screens on. But there is still a lot of Robbers after 3 days they are continuing to come. I've put sheets over the hives but with the heat I don't feel I should leave them on too long.   My open feeder is between my hives and the neighbors hive and still being ignored.  If i put an empty comb out will the wax smell draw the bees to the open feeder ?
Mark

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 07:21:19 pm »
that may help. try placing comb directly under the feeder  and letting the feeder drip on to the comb. if need be get window sreen netting and make frame to fit over the hive that completely encloses the hive then feed inside of the hive.

john

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 11:44:11 pm »
I just had an issue where my bees were ignoring my open feed also. I put and old frame of comb with it in the sun and within 5 minutes they found it. It was on then. Good luck.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 05:05:16 am »
Here's a chat too compare different types of bee feeders. This is from Bushkill Farm's blog.
 Thank You Robo. I also like to thank you for all the continuous work you had done in this page. As well as keeping all the technical work you have done at www.Beemaster.Com

https://beevac.com/feeder-compare/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything