Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Popcorn Trees  (Read 1641 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Popcorn Trees
« on: June 03, 2016, 09:24:41 am »
Does anyone have any success with honey bees working these trees. My apiary is surround by about 4 of these trees and I really hope that as they are blooming out I find my bees on them in the next week or so.

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
Re: Popcorn Trees
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 11:04:09 am »
Popcorn tree. That's a new one for me. We don't have those up here. lol I did a quick search and found this...
http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=15269.0
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 11:13:00 am »
This is good. A guy probably 50 miles sadi we were entering a dearth. I would wager that the trees have not made it to where he lives and would not thrive there. So maybe I can miss the mid summer dearth and get some honey.

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 11:29:37 am »
That'd be awesome! It sounds like they love it. 50 miles from here is so different from here, I can't listen to what they say. lol Good luck!
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 12:32:08 pm »
Popcorn trees are a good source for honey but here they are just about finished blooming. I wish they would bloom during the middle of summer.
I do not know about your state but here it is illegal to plant them. Not to worry though they plant themselves real well.
When I first bought my farm, I was warned by an old time farmer to get rid of a big one that is next to my barn. He told me he had a field that he had not been to for a long time and when he did check on it, the popcorn trees had take over it.
Jim 
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 12:41:53 pm »
They are just budding out here. I am sure they are illegal as until now I have been cutting them down and will continue to except for the ones near my bees.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 12:47:27 pm »
They are just budding out here. I am sure they are illegal as until now I have been cutting them down and will continue to except for the ones near my bees.
That means that you will not be cutting any trees within 3 miles of your hives. That is there normal range.
 :happy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 12:54:35 pm »
I might not go that far.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:50:27 pm »
bwallace, If you go to the Alabama River parkway toll bridge and travel there several miles toward where US 31 crosses the Alabama River on the Montgomery county line, you will see that area is saturated with popcorn (Chinese tallow) trees. I have a gentleman who's property backs up to 240 acres that was planted in pine trees but got overran by popcorn trees. He told me to bring as many hives as I'd like over there.

Goats won't eat them because it has something to do with clogging up their digestive pores(?)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 04:31:30 pm »
I might have to check that place out just for kicks.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 06:36:00 pm »