Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question  (Read 1101 times)

Offline ratman

• New Bee
Question
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:35:45 pm »
Hello I am new to beekeeping and I have a question. How much of an area do you need to have a hive? I live in a sub divison in Woodstock is it possable to have a hive so close to neighbors? :smile:  thanks for any info

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:48:52 pm »
I have had as many as 17 hives on a half acre subdivision lot. The general rule is 3 hives on a quarter acre lot. Here in FL the rule is 3 per 1/4 acre except during swarm season and then it doubles to 6. It is also recommended to have a 6' barrier if you are less than 15 feet from a fence line to push the bees up before they cross into your neighbors yard and to provide a water source to keep your bees out of your neighbor's pool.
My father has a 1/4 acre lot and he kept 5 hives on his roof for years. Most of his neighbors did not know he had them.
Jim
Add your location to your profile to help us provide better answers to your questions in the future.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 02:19:34 pm »
You need at least 16 1/4" by 19 7/8".  :)

Seriously the bees will forage the 8,000 acres around you.  If you put the hive facing the wall of your house the guard bees will not see people walking by and the field bees tend to go up.  A 6' fence is nice, but probably not necessary unless you have it closer to the property line and/or facing the property line.

I've had bees in town most of the last 41 years with no issues.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:19:25 am »
You need at least 16 1/4" by 19 7/8".  :)

Seriously the bees will forage the 8,000 acres around you.  If you put the hive facing the wall of your house the guard bees will not see people walking by and the field bees tend to go up.  A 6' fence is nice, but probably not necessary unless you have it closer to the property line and/or facing the property line.

I've had bees in town most of the last 41 years with no issues.

heheh, that was my exact thought when I read the title! Well said!

I know folks that keep their hives on their garage roof because they dont have enough yard.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

anything