Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dancing Extractor  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Dancing Extractor
« on: October 23, 2015, 08:34:24 pm »
I have been having trouble with my extractor moving around the garage floor for years :angry: So I put some wheels on it after a suggestion on this site and it helped dramatically the extractor would just dance around all over the shed and occasionally crash in to stuff.

Last week when I was extracting, I accidentally left a  large lid off a 20 Kilogram honey bucket on the ground(Right way Up). I also moved the extractor and ONE wheel went up onto the lid.
I started the extractor and to my amazement this rogue wheel on the lid just sat there and the extractor simply moved around a little on the lid but basically it just sat there.
The rim of the lid guided the wheel and kept it in place. It made my day,I hope this might help someone else who is fighting their extractor.

Cheers
Steve

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Re: Dancing Extractor
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:03:55 pm »

Interesting!
   I have my extractor bolted to a heavy base. Its an OLD AI root extractor (24 frame) and I can usually start out slow enough that it managed tobalance itself out...  If it does start to dance I can stand up the table and keep it in place... but, that old extractor weighs nearly 120 lbs on its own so it doesnt often need assistance.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:41:27 am »
I kept the top board from the crate that the extractor came in and place it on the floor. I then place the extractor on top of it and use 3 1/2" screws to lock it down. It does a good job holding it in place.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 01:53:33 am »
your extractor should be on 3 legs if on 4 it will always walk about
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 05:25:23 am »
It only has three Mate.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:31:54 pm »
Somehow I'm hearing "Dancing Extractor" to the tune of "Waltzing Matilida"...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 08:21:58 pm »
haha yeah it fits

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 12:33:38 pm »
Somehow I'm hearing "Dancing Extractor" to the tune of "Waltzing Matilida"...

Yea, Me too.  :grin:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ed Gallop

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 12:06:31 pm »
Mine is clamped to a piece of plywood and then the wood is clamped to my garage workbench. Legs removed. I have a variable drill suspended from the ceiling with a bungee cord and connected to the handle (if no motor). I twisted a copper wire to hold the trigger where I want it. Takes me less than 5 minutes to set up. Load the frames, plug in the battery, or plug in the wall, and let the extractor do its thing while I do something else. With plastic foundation it takes less than 5 minutes to extract. Wax is about 10 minutes at a lower speed.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:16:18 am »
Starting to think outside the box on this. I have a home made 9 deep frame radial extractor. perfect on 3 frames , gets a bit of a wobble on 6 frames but is OK, 9 frames over half speed and in shakes quite a bit - even throws frames at times

Now I have a recollection that years ago there was a gimmick on the market that was to supposedly auto balance your car wheels while driving down the road. It was a circle of pipe that clipped onto the rim and it had a liquid in it. as the wheel spun the liquid leveled out according to the imbalance.........hmmmm I wonder? (think harmonic balancer)

Here we go .....http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balancer.rhtml?modelNumber=400-420 The  FAQs describe what is in them  :wink:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 02:39:03 am by Wombat2 »
David L

Offline Ed Gallop

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 10:32:55 am »
If it worked at a low centrifugal force it may but then you would have to eyeball frames to see where to shift the weight. I do that anyway when loading. But I do not have the large radial extractor anymore. Mine will wobble if not balanced but I'm not concerned because it is clamped down. I will add weight of some kind if it wobbles too hard. Bolting or clamping it down is the answer for a walking extractor.