Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Growth  (Read 1095 times)

Offline rawlingst98

• New Bee
Growth
« on: May 12, 2015, 03:06:01 pm »
Its been several weeks now since i got two nucs and a swarm and they dont really seem to be growing at a fast rate. Is this something i should be concerned about? Anything i can do to help them? They were five frame nucs and only about six frames are drawn out.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Growth
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 04:08:29 pm »
It might be helpful if you can be more precise as to dates and also, since many answers to beekeeping questions depend on location, it would helpful if you went into your profile and entered your approximate location.  Welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you'll receive a lot of good advice from mambers.  Are you in an urban location, suburbs, or rural?  What is blooming in your area?  Location, location, location.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:46:24 pm »
To expand the bees need carbohydrates. I normally would feed 1:1 to new installations until the bees found some on their own. Do not feed after you put a honey super on. Good luck.  -Mike   
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:02:08 pm »
You probably have new queens in the nuc's. They are just getting started. Give them time. 3 weeks is barely enough time for the eggs that were laid the first week that you received them to be hatching. My second nuc that I bought did nothing but shrink the first 3 weeks and then after I talked to the seller about bringing it back they finally covered 7 frames and continued to get better.
It was supposed to bee a 5 frame nuc but it only had 3 frames covered. You may have the same thing.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin