Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Check  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Hive Check
« on: May 21, 2014, 07:36:36 pm »
  I checked hive 1 (Italians hived a month ago) and the queen is a laying machine. Most of the empty frames (foundationless) were drawn and laid in. The last frame was around 1/4 drawn and each cell had an egg.
 There was about 20% drone cells. I pulled two frames up to the next deep and replaced with empty frames, a frames of brood separating them.
 After closing them up, I couldn't resist taking a peek into hive 2 (Buckfast hived last week). I found no eggs and no work being done to the hive. They're bring in pollen and nectar, that's about it. I scanned a couple more frames without seeing the queen.
 I grabbed a partial drawn frame out, went back into hive 1 and swapped out the 1/4 drawn frame. I put the 1/4 drawn frame next to a frame of pollen and closed it up. I'll check back in 5-7 days to look for queen cells.
 If there are none, I'll assume that either the queen is taking her time or I was sent a virgin queen. If that's the case, I'll add a frame of capped brood a week later.
 If there are queen cells, I'll add a frame of brood and get things ready to bank a few queens.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
Re: Hive Check
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 11:32:29 pm »
Sounds like a plan to me. Good Luck. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

anything