Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Unique Experience  (Read 2732 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Unique Experience
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:50:19 pm »
Going through two of my hives shuffling some brood around got to be hot work. I took a break and drank a little water. I had to unzip my veil a bit to drink. I felt refreshed so I went back to work. Suddenly I realized that I had bees in my veil. Didn't panic just set everything down and moved a little ways off to clear the veil and zip it back up. A bee stung me just below my right ear, no big deal. Suddenly I have a bee in my ear, I mean crawling down my ear canal. Things got just a little exciting then. I shucked my gloves and removed my veil quickly. She didn't sting but the noise was special. The deeper she got the higher the pitch. I tried to grab her but she was to deep. Finally I used the same method I use to clear water from my ears and she crawled back out. The stings were nothing the "bee in the ear" was special.
Lesson learned--Always recheck your gear.
Later,
Ray

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: Unique Experience
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:41:34 pm »
A silverfish got into my ear one night many moons ago so I know what sound crawling legs sound like!!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:48:39 pm »
must of been fun!

I got some (a lot) in my Vail a few weeks ago and paniced!

wasn't nice,
jay

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:07:25 pm »
Well done for not freaking out!
I would of had a total melt down if a bee got in my ear and would still be standing frozen where it happened convinced that she was still in my ear!

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:31:02 pm »
A silverfish got into my ear one night many moons ago so I know what sound crawling legs sound like!!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

It wasn't the crawling, it was the noise. She was mad and was letting me know it. Very intense.

Well done for not freaking out!
I would of had a total melt down if a bee got in my ear and would still be standing frozen where it happened convinced that she was still in my ear!

Don't you believe it Spear. You'd do what you had to just to get some relief.  :-D

Jay,
Don't panic I think they can sense your distress.
Later,
Ray

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:55:04 pm »
I went through my bigger hive the oter day. I had one bee constantly butting the veil for a while then disappeared.I get down into the bottom box and I discover the missing bee found her way inside my veil,crawling arond frantically and buzzing wildly. I hoped to keep working and finish up ,but she had no part of that. I get one more box back on the hive and she decides on her target,the lower part of my inner nose. I can't reach her through the veil, so I walk away a ways and remove the veil, and her pheremones attracted a few friends that commenced the welcome party,around the neck, a couple on the ears and a few down the back of my shirt,just in case I didn't get the message!  :shock:
I hate to say it but I had to get the full jacket to finish assembling the hive.  It's been a while, so I guess that gets me back in the groove of things. :)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 11:53:55 pm »
My what big ears you have GRANDPA :-D
John 3:16

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:21:54 am »
I've been inspecting a lot of new beekeepers hives lately.
I learned to put elastic strips with velcrose around my ankles to keep the bees from crawling up to parts unmentionable to say the least.
Makes a feller want to start high step'n.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:58:37 am »
I can kind of relate.  I had a fly get into my ear about a week ago.  Not something you want happen on a frequent basis.

Offline Nico

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 07:39:33 pm »
I can also relate to both, several years ago I had a fly go into my ear at the local tip, then more recently the bee club was re-queening a hive and the member re-queening was calling for the smoker, it had gone out. I volunteered to relight it and smoke the hive ( a spur of the moment thing volunteering and not wearing protection ) I received one sting and one girl decided to go deep into my left ear. What an experience, she thankfully did not sting, the sensation was unbelievable, especially with the knowledge it was a bee and they can sting. I tilted my head allowing the sun to shine into my ear and thankfully she came out. I have not smoked hives without gear since.
Nico   

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 07:55:30 pm »
I can also relate to both, several years ago I had a fly go into my ear at the local tip, then more recently the bee club was re-queening a hive and the member re-queening was calling for the smoker, it had gone out. I volunteered to relight it and smoke the hive ( a spur of the moment thing volunteering and not wearing protection ) I received one sting and one girl decided to go deep into my left ear. What an experience, she thankfully did not sting, the sensation was unbelievable, especially with the knowledge it was a bee and they can sting. I tilted my head allowing the sun to shine into my ear and thankfully she came out. I have not smoked hives without gear since.
Nico   

LOL, hard to put into words isn't it.  This post was ment to bring a laugh and let people know that this kind of thing can happen. I honestly never considered the possibility.
Later,
Ray

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 07:37:34 am »
 her target,the lower part of my inner nose.

[/quote]

I had the same thing happen to me about a week ago!

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 06:23:27 am »
My what big ears you have GRANDPA :-D

Yeah Steve, makes for an easy target. :-D
Later,
Ray

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 10:37:33 am »
Jay,

Maybe there is an advantage to my hearing aids after all  :lau:

Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 09:42:22 am »
they did not go in my ears just stung the top of the noggin many many times. three is many
i paniced ran for the hills
PS. we do not have that hive any more sent them to a farm not mine
jay

happy memorial day

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 08:08:56 pm »
That could sure hurt, but somebody did a "scientific study" (student somehow directed bees to sting him in various parts, some of which were private, repeated it FIVE TIMES) and concluded the worst place to be stung was the nose.  Must be into pain or something to do that :shock:

Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 10:33:14 pm »
the itch on my backside undescrible