Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swithced from a top bar to langstroth and have a question  (Read 1189 times)

Offline sifuz

• New Bee
swithced from a top bar to langstroth and have a question
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:00:32 am »
I am using mediums for my langstroth and I put in a new package of bees in 2 mediums. All the bees are in the top medium with virtually no build up on the bottom medium.  Should I flip the top to the bottom so they build up or will they build down on the bottome medium? 

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
Re: swithced from a top bar to langstroth and have a question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:32:52 am »
You can use two brood frames to bait them down to the lower box.  Replace the ones in the top with empties.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:06:13 am »
They are not big/strong enough to need more than 1 medium at this point,  give them time to grow and they will use it.   Depending on your climate (need to update your profile so we know where you are) swapping the boxes may be OK.

By instinct bees work downward. Think about a feral colony in a tree.   Beekeepers prefer bees work up as it makes it easier on us to add more supers.   Don't confuse our preference with theirs and assume there is an issue.

Best of Luck with your new hive.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline sifuz

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:57:42 pm »
Thanks.  I would rather leave them to do what they do naturally (as much as they could in a man made hive :-D) The hive is 2 weeks old and they have almost filled the 1st medium box.  I thought that they would move down but I don't want to keep  opening up the hive to check.  When should I add on the honey super on top?  Should I do that now or would that just confuse them?  Sorry the langstroth has more components than my old top bar so I have some timing issues with keeping the hive in good shape.  I updated my profile.  I am outside of Chicago.  The weather has been up and down from 50's to high 80's.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:15:27 pm »
I would give them another week and see if they have started working the other box.  At that point you could swap the 2 boxes and add your honey supers on top.   If you add your supers now, the queen will move up and ignore the lower box.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 11:03:25 am »
down here they say 30 to see if 80 percent are pulled frames then add a deep. when thats 80% pulled add a honey super
my girls took longer even at full flow
jay

anything