Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Central Texas  (Read 2990 times)

Offline The Redneck Hippie

• New Bee
    • The Redneck Hippie
Hello from Central Texas
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:28:35 pm »
I just watched the welcome video. "You got bees out the kahBOO?! Come talk abou' dat!"  :lau:  I think if I had bees out the kahboo I'd talk to my doctor first ... and probably just him ...

I live in the middle of fifty acres where I grew up, land that's been in my family for well over a hundred years. I am a horticulturist at a large local organic garden center, where I diagnose customers' pest problems, teach classes, and am on the maintenance crew (I. Am. The Toilet Whisperer.). I also grow much of my own food here on the farm like we did when I was a kid.  I've raised Longhorn cattle as well as other livestock, and am expanding the vegetable garden and orchard to provide extra produce to sell at a farm stand at my front gate. I'm looking forward to having honey and candles to sell alongside the peaches and tomatoes. 

My dad used to keep bees and I was always following him around, but there's a big difference between being The Helper and The One Who Makes The Decisions. He died years ago, so I can't just call him up and ask, "Hey, Dad, will this work?" It's great to have access to longtime beekeepers for that, here on this forum. Really. Really great.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from Central Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:42:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Red.  With the mites and SHB's it's not quiet the same as it used to bee.  Good luck to you and your bees.  I quest you know your ----.   

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:52:49 am »
Welcome to the group hippie, it's nice to have folks to bounce idea's off of.
Glad you found us!

• New Bee
    • The Redneck Hippie
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:14:45 am »
Thanks for the welcome, y'all!

With the mites and SHB's it's not quiet the same as it used to bee.
That's what I'm afraid of.  But I've been reading a lot about how to manage those, things like SBBs and not putting a bunch of extra stuff like metal frame spacers in your hive, so hopefully I'll still enjoy it.

Good luck to you and your bees.  I quest you know your ----.
Yeah, if raising cattle, horses, pigs, and chickens, wasn't enough to learn it, the "toilet whisperer" gig means I sure do. *sigh*  Looking forward to learning the bee kind. 

Welcome to the group hippie, it's nice to have folks to bounce idea's off of.
Glad you found us!
Well, I've got a hard head, so makes for better bouncing. ;)

Thanks again, guys.

Offline BeesPleese

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:37:12 pm »
Welcome!

I beelive in your bees . . . you too of course!
So bees are pretty great, right?

• New Bee
    • The Redneck Hippie
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:33:29 am »
Thanks, BeesPleese!  I haven't got my bees yet - they're due June 20th (full strength colony from Bee Weaver), but maybe they can feel that belief all the way to Navasota where they currently reside.  Thanks again! :) 

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:52:22 pm »
Heya Redneck Hippie (dig the nic by the way - one I could wear as well)

We have a few more things in common, organic gardening and general location being only a couple of them, so I'm guessing we'll have similar questions and experiences as we both learn and grow.  Two of my uncles kept bees when I was growing up, so I got to get my hands sticky helping them, but never actually had a box to call my own . . . until now that is.

I'm down south of you a couple of hours (on a few acres south of San Antonio) I'm new to this site and looking forward to learning and sharing some info as well. We (the wife and I) just got a couple of hives up and going this weekend, so like you say, we are also hoping learn more about adding a few jars of liquid gold to our organic garden's production this fall.

Good luck with your new hive(s) and the adventures that come with them.
Have a good one,
GD

PS. If you're interested (and not already making/using it) I have a great recipe for brewing compost tea that makes all things green look like they are on steroids.
Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline Kevin Bentley

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:58:42 am »
Welcome Hippie!  ...(and not to hijack the thread) but as for that compost tea GDLitenin,  I'd be up for that recipe too!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 12:15:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum, hippie. Hopefully we can help answer your questions.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 10:44:48 pm »
Welcome Hippie!  ...(and not to hijack the thread) but as for that compost tea GDLitenin,  I'd be up for that recipe too!

Not a problem. However, since I'm still new and have limits on posting here for a bit (no pics or links allowed yet I guess) Sounds like maybe I should start a new thread and share my tea receipe as well as some additional organic gardening info that about any beekeeper could appreciate.

Not sure what the probation time period is for posting pics here, so maybe I'll create a page on my personal site and leave a note when ready.

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 06:48:52 pm »
Okay, my probation period must be over, so here's a link to a post I just added to the Garden section (to keep from further hijacking this thread) about the Compost Tea I mentioned above.
Enjoy
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,44735.0.html

anything