Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Squirrels in a feral beehive or...?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Squirrels in a feral beehive or...?
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:59:59 pm »
My neighbor just told me that this weekend he found a good quantity of comb in his backyard with honey and bees in it (unfortunately he didn't save any for me), but he was wondering if it came somehow from my hive (which it did not). He found it around the base of a big willow tree with several holes in limbs and trunk, so I'm guessing that there are feral bees in there somewhere (maybe from a swarm from my hive...). My question is, what would be getting into a hive way up in a tree at this time of year? Then only active critters we see commonly are gray squirrels - could it be them?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Squirrels in a feral beehive or...?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:11:41 pm »
I have seen woodpeckers take out a nest in a tree and make their nest in the cavity.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:40:43 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:10 pm »
could also be a rat
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:35:30 pm »
Coon? I'm thinking they may have been too cold to fight back, don't know if there is such a thing tho.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:39:53 am »
My first guess would be a raccoon.  I've seen them reach in and pull out comb.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:19:26 pm »
Coon? I'm thinking they may have been too cold to fight back, don't know if there is such a thing tho.

Coons are real

Keith

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:57:23 pm »
 :shock:

:-D
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 01:08:14 am »
In the 50's today and my bees were out and about, so I watched the neighbor's tree for any activity - nothing. So I'm wondering if the hive died over the winter (neighbor said there were bees in the comb), and squirrels got in there with nothing to worry about. I have seen a couple of roadkill coons in the last week or so, but it's been pretty cold for much activity.

anything