Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rabbet joints for boxes  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Rabbet joints for boxes
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:31:08 pm »
I'm considering using rabbet joints for the next set of boxes I'm making, mainly because the dimensions of the boxes, using box joints and allowing for kerf waste, don't allow me to use a six-foot board, whereas using rabbet joints will.

Pros and cons?

-- Kris

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Rabbet joints for boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 03:24:52 pm »
Not sure if it helps with your 6ft requirement,  but have you considered half-blind dovetails?  If you have a router,  you can pick up the jigs fairly cheap (~$30).  I switched to it last year and so far like it.  Of course,  I leave the jig setup for just doing supers, so it is pretty simple and fast now.  If you need to set the jig up everytime, it might not be the best answer.

Just something to think about. It is a lot stronger and more glue area than a rabbet.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Rabbet joints for boxes
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:27:53 pm »
That would fit the bill perfectly.  It's frustrating when a standard board length is 1/2" too short for the project.

Thanks!

BTW -- those are pretty NICE looking boxes . . .

-- Kris

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Rabbet joints for boxes
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 02:25:45 pm »
I usually just use butt joints and glue and deck screws.  But a rabbet works fine too.  A rabbet actually has less exposed grain than a box joint.

Of course if you build eight frame boxes (13 3/4" instead of 16 1/4") you won't have to worry about getting six out of an eight foot board.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin