Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Runny honey?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Runny honey?
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:31 am »
My KTBH bees have been doing very well, so I pulled a couple of bars loaded with honey.  (First time from this colony, second season, one year old, started from a small cut-out.)

The cells were about 60-70% capped, so I gave them both a couple of good shakes and nothing ran out, so I thought the honey would  be okay to harvest.  It is yummy, but it seems a bit runny (as was my first honey harvest from my Lang was last year).  I cut and separated the capped cells from the open cells and the honey from the capped cells appears more viscous than the honey from the uncapped, but still not as gooey as store-bought honey.

It is tasty and I don't mind, I only have a couple of hives and I use most of what I harvest myself.

Is this because of the humidity here in Florida or is there something I should do to help desiccate the honey?

Having fun!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Runny honey?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
Cabbage palm is just starting to bloom here...has yours already bloomed? For some reason the bees don't ever dry down cabbage palm as much as other honey varieties.

Runny honey (a great name for a band!) ferments so use it up quickly!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Re: Runny honey?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:02:46 pm »
Cabbage palm is just starting to bloom here...has yours already bloomed?
I don't know.  Doesn't seem to be much blooming around here (west Largo) since the Magnolias.  Not even the Tallowood across the street.
...ferments so use it up quickly!
I thought honey keeps forever?
Runny honey (a great name for a band!)
It's yours Dude, rock on!  ;)

Thanks