Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: concrete block  (Read 2917 times)

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
concrete block
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »
A company called me about a hive in their building. went out and checked. they seem to be in the 10" block wall.
I've done cut-outs, but never a block wall. It's too far away and would be very difficult to do a trap out. Told the maintenance guy what I would have to do and he said no way would they go for that. Sent the woman an email with estimate.(she also sent a check for the inspection fee) and absolutely no repairs will be made by me
Got an email back yesterday. They want me to do it.
This hive is 3 stories up in a concrete block wall. use of their lift is included.

Anyone got any tips on a removal from concrete block wall?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: concrete block
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:08:53 pm »
No I don't.  But I did see Billy the Exterminator deal with bees in the concrete blocks of a fire hall once.  No, you do not want to know what he did to them  :(

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:11:08 pm »
I have several videos of block wall removals on youtube. Search MrBeedude.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33:49 pm »
I've watched many of Scott and Peg's videos and I think they have concrete block removal down to a science.  Their videos are better than reality TV.  For the last couple of weeks I watch a few of them every evening as I relax before turning in.  Great entertainment and I've learned a thing or two.

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:43 pm »
watched your videos. quite informative. what were ya using to cut the block?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:11:01 pm »
Get you a diamond blade for the saw.   And a hammer.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:02:50 pm »
As Allen said, a diamond blad on a 4" grinder works well. The blade doesn't quite cut all the way through the block face (lacks about 1/8") which keeps the dusting down of the open brood to a minimum (conc dust will kill open brood in a heart beat!). It just takes a few knocks with a hammer to finish the job.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 11:35:40 pm »
If you can't do a trap out, then I would suggest pouring a few bottles of almond extract (food grade benzaldehyde) into the top of the block cavities.  Then stand back as the bees leave.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:57:36 pm »
Frame, there are usually so many passageways in a block wall that the queen can duck into (along with lots of bees) that chances are slim that you's ever be able to run them all out. Tons of workers yes, queen...I doubt it.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:10:51 am »
Frame, there are usually so many passageways in a block wall that the queen can duck into (along with lots of bees) that chances are slim that you's ever be able to run them all out. Tons of workers yes, queen...I doubt it.

Scott

That being the case, how can you ever do a cut out that gets the queen and all the bees. Surely an aromatic gas can penetrate a structure better than a concrete saw?   To improve the chances of benzaldehyde working, you might drill multiple holes at various points in the wall and add benzaldehyde to each.   

I admit I have zero experience with removing bees from such a structure, so I'm just asking a question.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:03 am »
When cutting into the block the queen will often times sneak into the next block (or two or three or more) over. I usually have to wait a day after the comb is removed for her to make her way back. She can be found hanging in the original void clustered with a small handful of bees.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:10:29 am »
I forget which video but didn't you purposefully leave a small piece of comb in the void to attract the queen and remaining bees overnight?  That's a great tip that may come in handy someday.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 11:36:47 am »
Whatever the removal, I always try to leave a small bit of comb until I'm sure I have the queen. You wouldn't believe how many times you'll find her hiding behind that comb.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:31:34 pm »
Whatever the removal, I always try to leave a small bit of comb until I'm sure I have the queen. You wouldn't believe how many times you'll find her hiding behind that comb.

Scott

Sounds like a very good tip.

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:00:59 pm »
Thanks for all the tips :)