Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc Question  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Nuc Question
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:41 pm »
Which do you recommend, a stand alone nuc box or making a ten frame hive body (deep or medium) into two four frame nucs?  Why?  I am going to make a few nucs from my hives and need to know whether I should buy separate boxes or full size boxes that I get a two for one situation.  Thanks.
Brian

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Nuc Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:26:45 am »
Many times when people buy a five frame nuc it comes in a cheap nuc box. So they take it home and transfer the frames into a ten frame box.So I guess putting them in the center of a full box with surrounding frames to fill the box is all right.
When I got my nucs last summer,we placed them in a ten frame box before hauling them home.
Depending on if your doing splits or selling nucs,your cost is the issue.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:23:06 pm »
I guess that's the magic question...what are you planning on doing with the splits?  And should we assume that you are having to buy equipment either way?

I started dividing some of my 10-frame deeps into 2 4-frame nuc spaces 'cause I had a number of deeps sitting around.  But my bees were staying with me, and I have more deeps to access when the colonies grow.

For the point of discussion, I'm going to assume that you are needing to purchase more equipment.  If that is the case, you need to remember that if both halves of the "double nuc" solution survive, then you're still going to need to purchase more deeps (and bottom board and covers and, and, and... :) )

If you buy all nucs, then you're going to need deeps to move them into.

I guess if I had to make this decision, I'd go with the 10-frame deeps knowing that some of the splits, for whatever reason, aren't going to make it, in which case I have a full box at the other half's disposal.

It's way too easy to spend money with this "hobby".  If you do have extra equipment, use what you have. 

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:02:52 am »
 Both have plenty Pro and cons:

Will you have more than one yard when doing splits? After you split it is certainly easier to move a five frame nuc to where you need it than a ten frame box. Ex. if you make a five frame split to a ten frame box -- do you move it away with five empty frames. If so are you utilizeing that deep efficientcly.

To house queen cells for mating queen --- divided ten frames help you with resource issues. Divided ten to Three --- three frame. I don't care for 4 two framers. 

Why not a few of each........ :-D
John 3:16

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:13:33 am »
If you’re going to winter nucs, sharing heat can be a good thing.  However managing 4 frame nucs is more of a challenge than managing 6 to 8 frame nucs since the bees can build up faster than you expect and swarm.  With a dedicated 6 to 8 frame nuc, you can ignore them for a longer period of time without worrying about swarms.  Kind of depends upon how many nucs you are starting and how much time you have to check on them.

If you go with a divided deep box with 4 frames, you may end up needing to super that before fall.  Then the question becomes is it easier to start supering 10 frame boxes or just go with dedicated nucs with adequate space to begin with.   

A good question to ask is how many frames of bees do you think you’re going to need to successfully winter.  That should have a bearing on your decisions.  As with everything in bee keeping, there is no perfect answer.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:19:35 pm »
I use follower boards in all boxes besides my honey supers so can adjust them to whatever size according to the number of bees.  I started using followers w/ a LONG Hive but adapted them for Langs, mainly to downsize from 10 to 8 frame, but discovered last year that I could keep two, 4 frame NUC colonies in one super w/ a follower board separating the two.  Eventually I plan on wintering my bees this way.

Once a NUC colony requires another super is it no longer a NUC?  :lol:  I think the hardest thing to overcome with NUCs, at least for me right now, is to let go of the desire to let them grow, well unless that's the intent. 

I mainly want them for insurance and as said, as a way to keep them better protected during our 'normally' frigid winters.

The last two issues (Dec, Jan) of American Beekeeping Journal had excellent articles on NUCs by Larry Conner, "the Traveling Beekeeper"

thomas

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:53:25 pm »
Brian,

Unless you are using them for queen mating,  I prefer 5-frame over the double 10-frame.    The fives are easier to cart around can be treated just like a full sized hive.  When they need more space,  you can just throw another 5-frame box on top.   If your running the double and only one side needs more room you have a dilemma.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:38:18 pm »
4 frame nuc boxes  will fit on each side of the doubles  chris

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 03:11:23 pm »
4 frame nuc boxes  will fit on each side of the doubles  chris

Another piece of equipment most folks don't have or 4 frames in a five frame nuc box? My point is most adapt nucs to meet their own need ---- 3 frame- 4 frame- 5 frame  :-D
John 3:16