Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Russian Management...  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Buffalo Bee Farm

• New Bee
    • Buffalo Bee Farm
Russian Management...
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:10:21 am »
So this year I bought 10 Russian queens from a certified Russian Queen Breeder. The queens have been exceptional and wonderful hives to work with. I have been very pleased with them since the first of April here in Central VA, USA. That is until this September… now I know many folks in the northeast have had September swarms this year, so maybe its not my Russians, but its only my Russians out of 60 plus hives that are swarming… I am not talking about small little swarms although some have been, but large massive swarms hitting high in the trees.

I know Russians are swarmy as part of their reproductive cycle, which also keeps mites low, but I can have this in September…

What am I doing wrong. All the webpages say Russians are not for everyone and are not Italians. I know this, but how do I balance feeding to store it away versus feeding to promote swarming? LOL

Nowhere that I have read discusses what the management changes are related to the Russians that they so often state need to be done… you always hear you need to manage Russians differently…

What does this mean? Should I be giving them unlimited brood nest and then only backfilling the 3rd deep with syrup? But isn’t 3 deeps a lot of space for a small winter cluster the Russians are touted to keep?

Any ideas? Experience? Etc?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Russian Management...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:20:11 pm »
I do not know abour Russians. I could by them here butthey are odd.

Your story reminds me about carniolans. They  are swarmy but at wrong time.

The  hives should rear brood for main flow, they slow down brood rearing and waited for swarmin.

italians swarm too, but so late that  it does not harm main flow.
When I cut the queen's wing tip and make a false swarm, foraging continues quite well.

It was  difficult to stop carniolan swarming. When they decided  they did it.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26:13 pm »
So this year I bought 10 Russian queens from a certified Russian Queen Breeder. The queens have been exceptional and wonderful hives to work with. I have been very pleased with them since the first of April here in Central VA, USA. That is until this September… now I know many folks in the northeast have had September swarms this year, so maybe its not my Russians, but its only my Russians out of 60 plus hives that are swarming… I am not talking about small little swarms although some have been, but large massive swarms hitting high in the trees.

I know Russians are swarmy as part of their reproductive cycle, which also keeps mites low, but I can have this in September…

What am I doing wrong. All the webpages say Russians are not for everyone and are not Italians. I know this, but how do I balance feeding to store it away versus feeding to promote swarming? LOL

Nowhere that I have read discusses what the management changes are related to the Russians that they so often state need to be done… you always hear you need to manage Russians differently…

What does this mean? Should I be giving them unlimited brood nest and then only backfilling the 3rd deep with syrup? But isn’t 3 deeps a lot of space for a small winter cluster the Russians are touted to keep?

Any ideas? Experience? Etc?

I only have one Russian hive-got it in May, and so far, it hasnt impressed me one way or the other. My only advice would be to keep your brood nest open by injecting a foundationless frame or two in the middle of it. I know its late in the season, but it might just be the ticket to change their mind on swarming this time of the year.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:06 pm »
I have 4 russian hives that wanted to swarm and i had 4 italians that were preparing to swarm capped cells in all of them very congested Chris

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 02:50:08 am »
I have 4 russian hives that wanted to swarm and i had 4 italians that were preparing to swarm capped cells in all of them very congested Chris

and after 2 months you have 20 crossblooded congested hives.
Language barrier NOT included

anything