Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: english garden top  (Read 1448 times)

Offline orbweaver

• Brood
english garden top
« on: September 03, 2011, 03:08:36 pm »
i see on most hives that a block is used for weight so they don't blow off. I was thinking of getting the English garden top but i was wondering if they also needed to be weighted down...thank for any advice

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: english garden top
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 03:31:46 pm »
I have one hive with a shed roof, it is a heavy roof.  My guess is it would take 60mph+ to blow it off, but I hedged my bets and put a stone on it.  I think there are other ways to keep a top on a hive besides a big stone, but since the stone is cheap and works for me, I haven’t done much experimenting in this area.

I would speculate that a heavy top with an apron prevent it from sliding off an inner cover and top body might work without a rock.  If not, you could add more force between the top and the hive by using neodymium magnets or quick release latches of some sort.

If you want the look of the English garden top, I say go for it.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 05:54:00 pm »
Lost three hives last winter , i had a large rock on the roof . Storms blue the roof off

Not taking any chances this winter, all hives will bee tied down with straps

replacing a lost hive i spring costs 100X the cost of a strap + I had unused straps in my shed  :oops:

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:59:04 pm »

You could get some ribbon and tie a nice bow on top.  :-D

Have fun!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:15:09 pm »
I like flat tops.  I can put bricks or rocks on them AND I can stack boxes on them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:02:31 am »
I have two of the English garden style hives and I absolutely love them! The tops seem pretty solid to me .

~Angie
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck