Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No brood after swarm: combine or kill?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline HeatherM

• New Bee
No brood after swarm: combine or kill?
« on: August 18, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »
In June we got two healthy hives.  Each was only one box when we got them; 2 weeks later we added another box to each hive. 

Hive 1 is very healthy, has two brood boxes and an additional box for honey.  We just extracted about 40lbs honey from the hive.

Hive 2 swarmed in July and has two boxes (unfortunately the swarm happened right around the time we added the new box.  We were only one day late but didn't know enough about beekeeping yet to be on top of things).  We have not seen any signs of brood despite numerous queen cells that have holes in their bottoms.  Last time we took a peek (one week ago) I saw signs of laying workers (double eggs in some comb cells).  We placed two brood frames from the Hive 1 into Hive 2 to help them along.  The top box is only about 1/4 to 1/3 drawn and has honey.  Overall these bees seem healthy.

Regarding Hive 2, should we:

A: combine it with the healthy hive before winter?  If so, what is the best way to combine the five boxes?  I assume we'll have to reduce the number of boxes. 

The two hives are right next to each other (probably less than one foot apart).  Is it possible that bees from Hive 2 will just move into Hive 1 on their own?

B: Actively kill the bees in Hive 2?

C.  Just let the bees in Hive 2 die?

Thanks!
PS: Sorry if this question has already been answered.  I'm new to the forum and didn't find anything directly similar in my searching.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: No brood after swarm: combine or kill?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 05:46:46 pm »
double eggs in cells can also be from a new queen that hasn't quite figured things out.  you will know if you have laying workers if all the brood is drone and the cells are scattered.  ALL drone.

when you have looked again, we can  help you decide what to do.  my guess is that you have a new queen.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:47:39 pm »
Last time we took a peek (one week ago) I saw signs of laying workers (double eggs in some comb cells).  We placed two brood frames from the Hive 1 into Hive 2 to help them along. 

Check again to see if you have new single eggs in the brood cells.  If so, you have your new queen.  Also check for queen cells from the brood you added.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:11:04 pm »
Doubles mean nothing.  Laying workers will have dozens. 
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfallacies.htm#doubleeggs

When you hit five or so, you'll know it's laying workers.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:56:21 am »
Rule of thumb is that it takes at least two weeks to go from a hatched queen cell to a laying queen.  For the queen to settle in and lay a good pattern of single eggs could be another two weeks.  If you are worried, continue to add the occasional frame of brood, but no need to even start worrying about a combine until you have gone four weeks with no sign of eggs.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline HeatherM

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:47:25 am »
Thanks for the advice.

We just checked the hive again this weekend.  I didn't see any more eggs, or a queen, but did see lots of what I think is drone brood.  Most of it is large and extending out from the top of the frame.  There are also a few bulging out, throughout the frame.  This makes me think that it was laying workers.  Should I wait longer to know for sure? 

We did take the sparsely-filled top box (1/3 drawn and little honey) and added it to our healthy hive that had 2 brood boxes and 1 honey box.  We mostly did this to add another honey box to the very-productive healthy hive, since honey is flowing and we'll be out of town and unable to check on them for 3 weeks.

Still just wondering if I should combine the two hives in a few weeks...it's starting to get pretty cool up here (lows in the 40s).

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:16:56 am »
rather than combine, take the hive 50 ft or so away from the others and shake the bees out.  put that hive away somewhere so that they can't go back to it.  some people just shake the bees out in front of other hives.  that works also, but i found less chaos by doing it away from hives.  take a couple of lids or towels so that you can cover the hive as you work. otherwise some bees will try to reenter it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:52:08 pm »
Hive 2 swarmed in July

If the hive swarmed in mid to late July, you still have time.  It normally takes about a month from swarm to the first eggs from a new queen.  And even those may be doubles and in a poor pattern.  I'd continue adding eggs from another hive for at least two more weeks.  My only reservation is that I don't know the climate where you are.  Are there still drones flying?  Do you have drones in your healthy hive?

If you decide that you do have laying workers, (many eggs per cell), then my first choice would be to continue adding eggs.  Second choice would be a combine.  Last choice would be a shakeout.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee

Offline HeatherM

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 02:50:32 pm »
It did look like the photo, except there were fewer of them.  There were also quite a few made in burr comb near the top of the frame.  Many of these at the top were not capped and I could see huge larvae inside.  I didn't see any more eggs, but could have missed them.

The hive swarmed on July 1st, so it has been over 8 weeks.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »
The hive swarmed on July 1st, so it has been over 8 weeks.

Oh, in that case it has been too long for a new queen to start laying.  If you are seeing only scattered drone brood and no worker brood, it does not look good.  Kathy is right about it being too late to raise a new queen from scratch in Canada.  If you have the eggs to spare, it still would not hurt to continue adding a frame of eggs per week.  Even if you can't raise a new queen, it will suppress the laying workers and make a combine easier.  I don't see any advantage to a shakeout over a combine, especially if you have already suppressed the laying workers.  When you see queen cells appear, that would be the signal to do a combine.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 04:28:34 pm »
the advantage to me would be to be done with it, and not disrupt the hive that is probably laying winter bees right now, and doing it's last storing for winter.  shaking them out would boost the other hive immediately and not disrupt it.  + you are going to be wanting to reduce your hive to it's overwinter size pretty quick.

either way will probably work.  i just like KISS as i tend to the lazy side a bit  :-D

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 08:16:59 pm »
either way will probably work.  i just like KISS as i tend to the lazy side a bit  :-D

That's funny kathy.  I am also lazy.  I just thought a combine was less work.   :-D   I see we think alike.

anything