Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Time for laying workers!  (Read 1455 times)

Offline thestrawberrythief

• New Bee
Time for laying workers!
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:46:16 pm »
Hi.
How long does it take for worker bees to start laying if a colony has no Queen.
My bees swarmed before June 11 and there is no sign of any eggs, larva or sealed brood.
I gave them a test frame from another hive and was wondering if the presence of eggs and brood stops workers from laying.
Or will they start soon as it's a month since they were Queen right.
Regards G.

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Time for laying workers!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:57:25 pm »
When did you add the frame? You should check it in 4 to 8 days for queen cells. Then you will know the condition of the hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline thestrawberrythief

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 02:02:21 pm »
 Thanks for the reply.
 I put the test frame in on Saturday and hope to check it at the weekend.
 My query is how long do I have to get a mated Queen before a worker bee starts laying eggs? Would I have time to allow them to try and rear another Queen or should I think about buying a mated Queen or maybe even uniting them with another colony.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 06:50:13 pm »
It is not related directly to being queenless.  It is broodlessness that causes it.  Broodless for two weeks can leave laying workers.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:56:35 pm »
If you find out you have a laying worker, it may take up to 3 insertions of frames w/eggs added one week apart before you see a queen cell.

The phermones from the brood should stop the laying worker(s) but it may take a couple of weeks before the girls build the new queen cell.

linda d