Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: After he cutout  (Read 1976 times)

Offline dp

• House Bee
After he cutout
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:15:54 am »
About to start my third cut out and after explaining to the customer that we just remove the bees, we don't re-build, I brought up the importance of getting it sealed back up tight or he may have the same problem all over again. 

He asked if there was anything that could be sprayed in there to keep bees and ants out?  He has heard that ants become a problem after a cutout.  I told him that we would remove all comb and there shouldn't be much there to attract ants, but told him I'd check into it.

Any suggestions?  Will moth balls keep bees and ants away if he seals them up in the wall?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: After he cutout
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:46:21 am »
First off, the ants would probably be a plus believe it or not while they are consuming any left over honey drippings.

There is nothing long term you could spray to keep the scent of propolis away from scouts. Bees are the only insect that I know of that make the stuff, so they will want in.

Moth balls work as a fumigant. Read the box sometime, you don't want an entire box putting out vapors you could breathe in. Besides I can think of two removals I've done in wall voids where each had an entire box of moth balls  in the cavity right next to the bees.

I believe in bee proofing but some buildings are almost impossible to bee proof so I bee proof the ones I can and leave the ones that can't up to the home owner and a contractor.

The ones I feel confident bee proofing I like to fill the void space (completely) with non backed fiberglass insulation and I caulk and seal. Any gaps larger than 1/4 inch need some type of backing before being caulked such as Stuff It http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/category.aspx?iid=335&gclid=CJC-2_a_4agCFSFl7AodnRqiIQ

And lastly, never ever under any circumstances tell a customer that bees will not come back because they will. If they can't get in they have no choice but to move on.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything