Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wintertime blues  (Read 6628 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Wintertime blues
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:07:26 am »
Well....here it is..15 December. Cold as whizz here in Tennessee with no warm trends in sight and I'm bored to tears. I used to go to my hives on a daily basis and just watch them carry on their daily business, now not so much. I've went to the shop where all my equipment is stored (remember my uncle's early Christmas present?) and have arranged it,rearranged it, and arranged it again. Checked on moth crystals-looks good, no evil wax moths and still bored. I realize that for most of you, this is the time where you can catch your breath and relax, but for me this first winter is driving me bonkers. Ive read,read and read some more and still have a buttload of questions. Oh well, back to the beemaster search button. Spring can't get here fast enough.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Wintertime blues
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:42 am »
I don't mind the cold. But it seems we have had more wind here than all of last year.

Oh, and you think this is bad, wait till late January. Forum will be slow, posts few, boredom magnified.

I got lots to do. But the cold just seems to bother me more and more each year. And a good bit will be outside.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:41:33 am »
K9, get out in the woods, woods are real pretty this time of year. If you like wild game its a good time to hunt too.

Can't ever be bored in the outdoors.

Build a fire if you don't want to sit in the woods, have friends/family over, just be active and your boredom will pass.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:52:57 am »
K9, get out in the woods, woods are real pretty this time of year. If you like wild game its a good time to hunt too.

Can't ever be bored in the outdoors.

Build a fire if you don't want to sit in the woods, have friends/family over, just be active and your boredom will pass.

...JP

Yeah I do usually pass some of the time in a tree stand. Next Wednesday, I'm scheduled to have rotator cuff and torn labrum surgery. I guess that time will pass in a narcotic induced haze. I guess when the NEWbee syndrome wears off things will be better.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:21 am »
Love to hunt this time of year too, archery, rifle, and black powder.  Not been a good year so far but I'll keep trying.

Reading and learning is always a good pursuit.  For me though I can only do it so long before I've got to get up and do something.  Do you have access to a table saw?  If not, ask Santa for one (watch Craigslist?).  That's what gets me through the winter in spades.  BE CAREFUL though, don't get in a hurry a table saw is not kind to hands and fingers.

Make nucs, hive bodies, supers, screened bottom boards, a frame assembly jig, a queen castle, grafting frames, solar wax melter, and the mother of all challenges an OB Hive.  I am not a good wood worker but I have definitely gotten better.  The more you do the better you get, which begets even more and better results.

I didn't make my OB hive from scratch but I sure modified it enough I should have.  An OB hive honestly gives me that "bee fix" every morning when I check on them.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:08:50 am »
Crack open a couple of bottles of that mead you've been holding on to. Spring will be here before you know what hit ya!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:14:46 am »
Good luck with your surgery. By the way, how on earth did you tear you labium? :shock:

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:47:45 am »
I'm with D Coates...I spent the first couple of beekeeping years making my own equipment.  Didn't save a whole lot of money, and it was an insane amount of work, but it did keep me busy and keep me from going insane.

Now I'm grateful for winter since it means that the insane busyness of summer is done...
Rick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 02:01:02 pm »
I am sure it must be hard going through those long winter days. I look forward every November to saying goodbye to the girls because the summers are so intense with them. But my winters are so short. It starts to warm up here around February. By March I have to do swarm control.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 02:22:08 pm »
Well la-te-da!  Look at Annette, Annette Annette Annette lucky Annette who gets nice short warm winters. Na na na!!

Nghnghnhg...you just have to rub it in, don't you....   :thunder::fishhit: :whip:

;)

Rick

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:30:44 pm »
Good luck with your surgery. By the way, how on earth did you tear you labium? :shock:

And I didnt even know I had one of them until I tore it  :-D

We were doing our yearly in-service training and our over zealous training officer was demonstrating, on me of course, an arm bar technique. Well, as much as I would like to say that I am as flexible now at 37 as I was at 27 I am not. He went a little too far with it and after a loud 'pop' and wonderful nauseous sensation, I went to the E.R.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »
Well, I wish you a successful and speedy recovery. Make sure you rehab like they say; it does help, even if it is a pain in the a** after a while! And don't try to overdo things if it starts to feel better!!

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 03:15:22 pm »
But the cold just seems to bother me more and more each year.

I wish the chemist from North Carolina lived closer. I could certainly pick his brain over a  few beers each week.
Umm.  I'm thinking...... something.... an idea forming........  solution to both problems...... what is it?   Getting clearer..... yes, yes.... no!   I lost it.  :-D
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 03:26:27 pm »
Well la-te-da!  Look at Annette, Annette Annette Annette lucky Annette who gets nice short warm winters. Na na na!!

Nghnghnhg...you just have to rub it in, don't you....   :thunder::fishhit: :whip:

;)

:-D :-D

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 03:55:21 pm »
But the cold just seems to bother me more and more each year.

I wish the chemist from North Carolina lived closer. I could certainly pick his brain over a  few beers each week.
Umm.  I'm thinking...... something.... an idea forming........  solution to both problems...... what is it?   Getting clearer..... yes, yes.... no!   I lost it.  :-D

I'll ask, but I'm not betting on that chemist coming up here and doing my work. He was nice and all, but I'm not sure he's a fool.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 04:02:33 pm »
I'll ask, but I'm not betting on that chemist coming up here and doing my work. He was nice and all, but I'm not sure he's a fool.  ;)
But that would only solve one of your problems.  No.... it was something else.  Something..... similar.  That would solve both problems.   :-D

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 04:51:37 pm »
I'll ask, but I'm not betting on that chemist coming up here and doing my work. He was nice and all, but I'm not sure he's a fool.  ;)
But that would only solve one of your problems.  No.... it was something else.  Something..... similar.  That would solve both problems.   :-D

Ok, I'll ask my wife.  :-D  Although last time I suggested it, she kicked me. But the other person was a much younger female.  :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline msully

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 05:48:15 pm »
Usually in the winter I can watch the hives, build more equipment, etc.  But this winter we are having a new house built.  The girls have all been shipped to my Mother-in-laws so I can't watch them do their cleansing flights, and my shop tools are all packed away ready to be moved to storage in a week.

I feel bad for my wife - I'm going to drive her crazy this winter!!

Mike
"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffett

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 06:05:35 pm »

Ok, I'll ask my wife.  :-D  Although last time I suggested it, she kicked me. But the other person was a much younger female.  :roll:

Whoa!   Uh, now I see what you are thinking about on cold winter nights.  No, it's come to me now.  I was thinking you could solve both your issues with cold weather and the loneliness of being so far from your chemist by moving to North Carolina.  But I guess your idea would also be a cure for the cold and loneliness of Pennsylvania.    :cheer: :camp:

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 06:25:10 pm »
These puns and metaphors are so confusing. I must be getting mixed signals.

So now I should throw alcohol and tenting into the mix......Kinky!  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org