Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Multiple eggs in cells???  (Read 2320 times)

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
Multiple eggs in cells???
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:09:22 am »
Hi all,
I have a hive that swarmed recently (caught and rehived) leaving behind a small colony. When i inspected after the swarm i found at least 20 queen cells in the hive, which i thought was a little strange. There were a few intact queen cells and full brood frames so i left them alone for two weeks to see if they could pull it together. Well, when i went in yesterday they had cleaned out all the queen frames and were business as usual but when i checked the brood frames every single cell had two or more (some had 4 or 5!) new laid eggs in them??? Que paso?  I have never seen this, anyone know why this is?

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
Re: Multiple eggs in cells???
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 11:13:07 am »
Sounds like laying workers to me. I'm fighting the same situation right now with one hive by adding a frame of eggs and uncapped brood to the weak hive every week and hoping that they'll rear a queen for themselves.

Michael Bush has a great page discussing your options.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm

Jay

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:21:47 am »
Some times a new queen will lay like that till she gets the pattern down
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:00:32 pm »
From the time frame you are giving, I think Irwin is right. The time fits a new queen. It's too soon for laying workers.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:13:08 pm »
Are the eggs in the bottom of the cells or stuck on the walls?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:47:23 pm »
i vote new queen.  wait.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 01:50:12 pm »
New queens will often double lay in some cells until they mature a little.  I can't say I've ever had one double up in every cell, not to mention 4 or 5 in a cell.   Queen or not, I have my doubts that she will settle down.   I'm with Scott on this one,  are the eggs all standing up in the bottom of the cells, or are some stuck to the cell walls?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bberry

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 12:34:36 am »
there are some standing up in the bottoms like normal and then there are some stuck to the side walls, especially the ones with more than 2

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 06:24:38 am »
Sounds like a new queen to me. Keep an eye out.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 12:39:12 pm »
Two or three is pretty normal with a new queen.  Four or five isn't.  I'd keep an eye on things...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bberry

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 03:29:45 pm »
Thanks all!

anything