Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost both hives, can I re-use comb/uncapped honey?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
Lost both hives, can I re-use comb/uncapped honey?
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:08:28 pm »
I suspected some heavy losses last month and since the weather has been nice the last week or so I went in to take a peek.

All dead, about 1/2 dead on the bottom board in a pile, and the rest seemingly frozen in time on the frames. Some were in the combs just sticking their abdomens out.

:oops: As much as I really want to help bees I can't help but realize that I've killed every colony and swarm I've touched.  :oops:

So the plan is to order two 3# packages and 2 queens from some other beekeeps in the next few days - I've cleaned out all the dead bees from my hives and I was wondering if I could reuse those frames of drawn comb, capped/uncapped honey?

What do you guys think?

I hope to bring in some more swarms this year, but last year I didn't get one phone call..hopefully this year will be different.

Thanks for your help!

*EDIT* also does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a place to buy 3# pacakges / queens from? Im in Apollo PA close to Pittsburgh. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:27:03 pm by SystemShark »

Offline donm

• New Bee
Re: Lost both hives, can I re-use comb/uncapped honey?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:04:17 pm »
Don't feel to bad SShark, it happens.  As long as there is no sign of disease, reuse it.  I lost two hives this year myself and I plan on reusing everything.  The new girls will clean everything up.  What kind of stores did they have going into winter?

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:13:50 pm »
Great - now I just have to go find someone near Pittsburgh or that ships to my area postoffice to buy some more bees from =p

Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 04:13:14 am »
You can get PA bees here...

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/