Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When dead bees are a good sign  (Read 2446 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
When dead bees are a good sign
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »
It has been up in to the low thirties on and off the past week.  I finally was able to go to the yard to see if it had been warm enough to make cleansing flights.  I was very happy to see scattered dead bees and bee poop melting into the snow.  I then saw a bee drop into the snow.  Then I was wandering if anything that flew was dead meat. Much to my surprise bees were flying back from out of sight. Some were falling into the snow when they tried to home in on their hive and land, others made it onto the black felt then would crawl back in others just sat there.  I went and got my cam to film it but of course the battery lasted about 5 seconds.  I have learned that in the cold a half dead battery is a dead battery in the cold.  I was amazed to see bees taking fight, buzz around a little bit then dart off like they were going to go get pollen or something.  I figured these were done for, but it seems some of them obviously make it back. 

I ended up taking the hive covers off to see if they were up eating the sugar candy in the feeders I made.  I was relieved to see all four were alive, even the one I thought was toast is still alive after we had a two week cold snap with lows in negative most nights.  A few nights were down below -20.

I hope to get some film to share this week. 

I did do a test on how much warmer the air was around my hives in mid day with one thermometer about two inches away from the hive wall and one about twenty feet away when it was 13 degrees out.  It was about 50 degrees next to the hives.  I plan on doing this again and  and getting film too, if any one cares to see it.

Anyway, I wish everyone has good luck with there bees this winter.  Almost half way to spring here

bee-nuts
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: When dead bees are a good sign
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
"Almost half way to spring here"   

Oh....  that's really nice to think about.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:25 pm »
"Almost half way to spring here"   

Oh....  that's really nice to think about.

Yup, it sounds better than "midwinter".   :-D  The increasing sunlight has an effect on almost every thing.  Even on a day when the air is 5F  (-15C), and the wind is calm I can feel the warmth of the sun.
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:52:14 am »
January thaw here in NE Ohio. My bees have been making cleansing flights too, even though it's only in the upper thirties. I don't know how many have made it back, though. I have two hives and both are still alive. Will check on their stores when it warms up some more. Right now, the way I look at it is; every day that they survive now is another day closer to spring!  :)

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:57:14 pm »
The weather here has been in the 50's for a couple of days and the girls have been out getting "stuff" I really would like to know maybe water.  They have been doing their cleaning flights and are still working on the getting everything nice and proper.  I have 3 hives and was worried about my middle hive they were taking a long time to "wake up" after not getting out for several weeks because of the cold snap.  But are doing fine.  Yes, it is great to day dream about spring it is almost here and I have a lot of planing to do and to get done.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:34:55 am »
Bee-nuts, good.  As for the film, why not, you may be surprised how many people really would like to have a look at it.  Do it, it is a good action.  Have that great, most awesome and wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:29:06 am »
After about 2 1/2 weeks of really cold weather (for NC) with daytime temps in the mid 30s and evening temps in the teens, we have had some really nice weather the past 3-4 days with temps in the 50s. 

I'm surprised that all of my hive are alive and are bringing in pollen.  Don't know where they are getting it but they're bringing it in!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:14:47 am »
Well, yesterday I saw bees leaving my hive and disappearing, and it was 29 degrees.  Granted, it was sunny and calm, but what the heck.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 02:48:33 pm »
Bee-nuts, good.  As for the film, why not, you may be surprised how many people really would like to have a look at it.  Do it, it is a good action.  Have that great, most awesome and wonderful day, health.  Cindi

I will attempt to get some film when the weather permits.  There were a few good day for this but either I was up north, or at work.  The one day that would work my battery of course died.  Now we have nothing but clouds, wind and twenties.  The weather does not look promising before I return to work Friday.  When I do get film, hopefully it is worth viewing.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

anything