Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: English Garden 8 Frame Kit  (Read 3981 times)

Offline trahn007

• New Bee
English Garden 8 Frame Kit
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:36:03 pm »
Just ordered 2 starter kits from Brushy Mountain. Just wondering what else I'll need as far as supers and such. Have the bee's ordered and pick up date is the week of April 22. I'm going to varnish the hive's instead of paint for a nice garden setting...... does it matter what type of varnish?

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
Re: English Garden 8 Frame Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:56:24 pm »
spar varnish- do not varnish inside-  redwood stain is nice. 

Suggest having a base with 3-8x14 colored concrete blocks (landscape blocks)  That will look sharp and give solid base.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:00:04 pm »
Always good to have some spare boxes with frames around and at least one box with no frames for manipulation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 09:48:09 pm »
Hi Trahn007,

Congratulations on the new hives. 

You asked about other things to acquire.  Have you considered getting a copy of the backyard beekeeper?  It's a great book for the beginning beek, lots of good info presented in a manner that's a pleasure to read. 

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline sfisher

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:43:44 am »
I bought the same hives from Brushy mnt.  I spoke to one of the employees there and he said to finish with minwax stain, and then polyurethane.  I plan on starting that tommorow. 

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:32:22 pm »
I bought the same hives from Brushy mnt.  I spoke to one of the employees there and he said to finish with minwax stain, and then polyurethane.  I plan on starting that tommorow. 
This is what I did last year. End of season, and the hives still look great (except for the copper tops which, as the hives were near a tree-line....). The girls made enough honey to let me share a bit and still had enough left for themselves. Hoping winter feeding will be minimal to non-existent.
It is what it is.......except when it isn't.

Offline trahn007

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 05:08:09 pm »
Slaphead..... I bought the backyard beekeeper last year and read it. The two kits that I ordered both come with that book so I'll have two extra copies. Thanks

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:50:04 pm »
Excellent, it's reassuring to hear Brushy Mt. ship those kits with a quality guide. 

Look forward to hearing how you get on in the spring.

SH

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:48:46 am »
I have several of those garden hives and they give you the basic set up but you will need to order some supers to go with it as they only send you a couple of brood boxes to get started.
They include an entrance reducer but you will also need a mouse guard for each hive, I also order extra reducers as sometimes they get misplaced.
 If you use shims then you can order those as well.
I don't know if you plan to feed your bees but if you do they sell the feeders.
Tools, smoker, protective gear, bottling kits etc.
Just sit down and think about how you are going to keep your bees and what tools would suit you best.
Better to order what you need now while the shipping is free.
I used a solid color stain on mine and its held up well.

Offline sfisher

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 03:27:07 am »
Natalie, did you put a protective coating over the stain?

Offline trahn007

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 11:26:25 pm »
The kits came with all the tools I think I will need. How many supers do you folks think I should have 2 for each I was thinkin but just not sure. As far as foundation Im going to scrape the honey and capping into a filter bucket system ( which I haven't bought yet), just not sure what type of foundation to use. I'm thinking of getting this stuff very soon but not sure what way to go.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 12:01:08 am »
Trahn007,

In a good year a package can draw out as many as 6 8-frame boxes in that first year in my area.  I'm in mixed residential, agricultural and woodland.

SH

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 12:23:30 am »
Natalie, did you put a protective coating over the stain?

No, I just did two coats of a solid color stain, you don't put anything over it and it looks like paint.
Its the same stain I used on my house, it works great.

I tried to copy a picture of my hives to show you what it looks like but I couldn't figure it out, you can see them on my photobucket page though.
Both colors, the green and golden tan color are solid color stains.

http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/natalierosepeterson/?action=view&current=Picture002.jpg

http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/natalierosepeterson/?start=340

Offline sfisher

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 04:15:11 am »
Thanks Natalie, how do the chickens and bees get along?  I have been wondering about that, since my bees will be close to laying hens.  Great garden looks good!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 11:00:21 am »
Thank you. They get along fine. The hens even like to nap underneath the topbar hives.
They dig a big hole and nap right underneath to keep cool sometimes I see them perched on top of the hives too.
Its amazing to watch when the bees are really active and the chickens are walking in and out of a cloud of bees totally unfazed.
I haven't noticed the chickens eating the bees or anything and even if they did I doubt they would eat enough to make a difference.
They have those thick feathers and tough legs so they are fairly well protected but they could be stung around the head I suppose.
Chickens are smarter than you would think and they figure it out fast if they are near something that will hurt them.
I think they co exist quite nicely and the chickens like to dig around at the ground around the hives looking for bugs to eat so maybe it helps keep the opportunistic insects down.
I make sure the coop is clean and keep the smell down as much as possible because I have heard that smells can set off the bees and make them angry, not sure if this would be an issue or not but it doesn't hurt to have a clean coop no matter what.
Just remember if you are one that uses DE in the run or coop to keep the fly population down to be careful when using it so that you don't have it drift near the hives.
DE does help just don't use it on a windy day or throw it from too high above, I lean over with the scoop and carefully spread it around.
Well this is way more information than you probably needed.
Good luck and have fun with the bees and chickens!

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 12:22:49 pm »

They have those thick feathers and tough legs so they are fairly well protected but they could be stung around the head I suppose.

“It was a transmogrifying bee / Came droning down on Chucky’s old bald head / And sat and put the poison. It scarcely bled, / But how exceedingly / And purply did the knot / Swell with the venom and communicate / Its rigour!”

— John Crowe Ransom, “Janet Waking”

Just a random connection here.....I read WAY too much poetry for an old man!
It is what it is.......except when it isn't.

Offline trahn007

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 10:20:57 pm »
Slaphead.... I live in a setting much like you. Thanks