Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: worried about feeding  (Read 1691 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
worried about feeding
« on: October 07, 2009, 01:53:38 am »
I started feeding about three weeks ago and the temps dropped right after I started.  Highs have been in the mid fiftys every day with a few only into the uper fortys.  They are talking about snow now.  I am worried about three hive in particular that have little hooney stores and have only had about four gallons of honey feed to them.  I think it has been too cold forthemto do much with the syrup.  I have two hive top feeders and one has sucked up about 12 gallons.  I dont know how I will ever get the three with 1 gallons up to par if the weather does not warm up. 

Can I (does it do any good to) fill a division board feeder with granulated sugar when it is no longer feasible to feed syrup?

What is the minimum temp need for bees to work with syrup?  40's, 50's ?

We have had snow storms a few times by or on Halloween, but looks like winter may start real early here in Wisconsin this year.  I really hope it warms up for a couple weeks before winter hits!!

I should have never took any honey and started feeding a month ago.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
Re: worried about feeding
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 02:20:12 am »
What if I take a medium box and fill with 10 sugar boards (like robo makes) and put this on top of the inner cover with a hole then put another inner cover on top of it this medium box, then winterize the hive?  I would put it on top of the inner cover because this would be done when it is no longer feasible to open hive to add more syrup in division board feeders.  Sugar board box may do a fantastic job of adsorbing moisture too?  I dont know but I have to figure something out.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:46:23 am »
Check this out. Just make sure that you do not have any newspaper outside the hive.  it will act as a wick and pull moisture in. Put the top box on and put the paper down in the box, pour the sugar in and sprinkle the edge with water.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,19393.0.html
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 12:04:02 pm »
>Can I (does it do any good to) fill a division board feeder with granulated sugar when it is no longer feasible to feed syrup?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#drysugar
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/SugarFeedingFrame.jpg

>What is the minimum temp need for bees to work with syrup?  40's, 50's ?

The temperature of the SYRUP has to be 50 F.  The temperature outside is not so relevant, but they can't move around much until it hits about 50 F.  I've seen them eating sugar at all temperatures.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:06:33 am »
Thanks Michael

We have had more or less nothing but highs way below average for a month.  From what I hear there are many folks up here in nortern wisconxin in a pinch with feeding and treatments which the latter I know you are not a fan of.  I am hoping for a week of upper 50's or better soon but may get nothing by the looks of it.

Thanks for the links.  I will be given em some sugar in division board feeder for sure now.

Thanks again

bee-nuts

Thomas Jefferson

anything