Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question  (Read 2887 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Question
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:27:54 pm »
I was at the gas pumps today and across the pump from me was a "Parks and recreation" van from the city of Deltona, FL. I struck up a conversation with the driver about everything from pig trapping (been a good year for it here) to fishing. Then I asked him if he ever came across feral bees or swarms in his work and he said "very seldom but yes, we do find them on occasion." When I asked what they do with them he said they" call some guy and he comes out and sprays them with some white stuff to kill them." I first just said "That aint right man!" and was about to really go off on the poor guy, but then I realized that he really had nothing to do with it all.

I've decided that I need to go to the head of his department and explain a few things too him! I'll go into the whole plight of the bees...CCD....feral stock etal argument with him to see if I can somehow get them to stop this senseless practice. I can use a little more ammo for the fight though. Does anyone know what this "White stuff" might be? If I can find out I can hit 'em with the bad chemical approach as well.

Thanks for your replies,
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:38:18 pm »
Sorry, but I think you are fighting a losing battle. Jerry Hayes, Apiary Inspection Assistant Chief for the state of Florida's Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Bureau, recommends ALL feral swarms be eradicated. He is adamant in his feelings and I don't think you have much chance of changing his mind.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:27:01 pm »
It may or may not be the law in Florida or certain counties thereof, that feral swarms be eradicated.

If there is no law, just tell the guy's boss you like bees and would appreciate those calls, so you can save them, and tell him their useful values. No need to get into the negative and put the guy on defense, then, you get no calls.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:33:49 pm »
Thanks to you too JP,
I'm sure you're right...a little tact can go a long way with red tape types.
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:35:01 pm »
Sorry iddee, the post I made to thank you was lost some how so...thanx again!

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:40:46 pm »
Thanks to you too JP,
I'm sure you're right...a little tact can go a long way with red tape types.
Scott

Scott, I've done the yelling and berating thing and it just doesn't work. The best thing is to somehow find it in yourself to educate that person who sprayed the bees or lit them on fire or whatever, about how wonderful bees are and really pour it on and share your excitement. Bee excitement is contagious.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:23:22 pm »
Due to the saturation of AHB they kill all feral bees for the sake of the public. Believe it or not it helps beeks as well, the fewer folks that get hurt and make big KILLER BEE headlines the better.