Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A bit of information on CCD from WSU  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
A bit of information on CCD from WSU
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:09:00 pm »
The local university in Pullman, has been working for sometime on CCD.  Here is some information on their latest findings.
Dr. Sheppard is the gentleman that was instrumental (along with  others), in pulling together the local Bee Keepers Seminar, held in eastern Washington. You couldn't find a more thoughtful patient mentor for new bee keepers.

http://www.wsunews.wsu.edu/pages/publications.asp?Action=Detail&PublicationID=15036&TypeID=1

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline David Stokely

• House Bee
    • A New Creature
Re: a bit of information on CCD from WSU
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:06:17 pm »
Very interesting.

Offline David Stokely

• House Bee
    • A New Creature
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:51:11 am »
Mulling this article over in my mind for the past couple of days, to summarize:  The researchers believe that CCD (colony collapse disorder) is due to toxic brood comb from pesticide contamination and nosema and that one of the solutions is to replace brood comb every 3 years or so.

It just struck me, then is that pretty much the death knell for feral bee colonies?  I mean, bees don't naturally rip out comb every so often do they?  I've never heard of that behavior.  I don't know that much about feral colonies, but in the past I've known of bee trees which have been in the same spot for many years.  How do they handle very old comb that reputedly becomes too thickened to use?  I mean if it becomes toxic with pesticides after what seems to me such a short time, it would mean the end of wild colonies. . .

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:59:21 pm »
David Stokely wrote:
It just struck me, then is that pretty much the death knell for feral bee colonies?  I mean, bees don't naturally rip out comb every so often do they?  I've never heard of that behavior.  I don't know that much about feral colonies, but in the past I've known of bee trees which have been in the same spot for many years.  How do they handle very old comb that reputedly becomes too thickened to use?  I mean if it becomes toxic with pesticides after what seems to me such a short time, it would mean the end of wild colonies. . .

Unless a "helpful" beekeeper is treating them with antibiotics or miticides I'd imagine feral colonies would take longer to accumulate the chemicals often used to treat managed hives.  In that time many swarms will be spun off and new colonies founded.  Once an old feral colony dies the wax moths invade and consume the old combs, effectively removing the chemicals from the cavity.  The space will still smell of bees and in time a new swarm will move in, restarting the cycle.  If CCD is partly dependent on the build up of chemicals in combs the feral bee population may be better off than the managed  :oops: At least in regards to CCD.
SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline David Stokely

• House Bee
    • A New Creature
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:37:06 pm »
I hadn't thought of the toxins as coming from the beekeeper.  I was thinking of crop spraying, etc. That's interesting.

anything