Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not Fair! JP Gets All of the Cool Swarm Calls!  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
Not Fair! JP Gets All of the Cool Swarm Calls!
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:16:08 pm »
Has anyone ever noticed that JP gets all of the cool swarm calls? He also posts the best pictures I have ever seen!

GREAT WORK!

Brenda

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Not Fair! JP Gets All of the Cool Swarm Calls!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:00:47 pm »
That's why he has the title of Swarm King!!  Don't worry Brenda, you will be the Swarm Queen one day.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:03:46 pm »
Although I appreciate the accolades, I'm really just fortunate to be in an area that has lots of bees, and I really, really enjoy what I do.

As Cindi would say, I'm definitely under the spell of the honeybee, who here isn't though right!

I always keep my camera with me cause you just never know what you'll be presented with. I urge all you guys and gals to keep those cameras at the ready.

I'm glad you enjoy the pictures as I am happy taking and posting them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:58:45 pm »
JP,

I just took a drive to check out the city wide yard sales. I never bought a thing! But I did see a large swarm 30 feet up in a big hackberry tree! Of course I could not get them, but at least I know I still have the addiction.  :-D

I had a call about two swarms yesterday! This is a good one! The first guy called me off of a cell phone and wanted to know if I picked up swarms of bees? Well, yes, I do! Then he wanted to know how much I paid for them! I told him that I did not pay for the swarms! Then he asked me if I would pay him $150 for his swarm?  :roll: I told him 'no', as I did not buy swarms...then he tole me 'thank you' and hung up!

The phone rang again and this time he asked me if I would pay him $100 for the bees! No....so he thanked me again and hung up! :roll:

Then it rang again....same guy....wanted to know if I knew anyone who would pay him $150 for the swarm!  :shock:

The second one called me and wanted to know if I paid for the swarms when I picked them up! No.... SO he just said 'Thank you!' and hung up! I think I only heard of one person ever buying swarms and I cannot remember who or when that was.

Does anyone who does swarm removals really pay $150 for them???

Hey annette,

I like the idea of Swarm Queen!  :-D I might have to move down to La. before I could get that title! It would be fun though! I love the food!  :lol: The people are really great too! The way the rivers have been flooding, it would be easy to move down there by boat!

Brenda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 07:33:11 pm »
Brenda I can think of a couple of things to say when someone asks if you buy swarms. Now mind you, I'm in an area that has lots of bees.

One, I don't pay you, you pay me for my time to come and get them.

Two, I don't need them, I have plenty, but I could come out and for a small fee make your problem my problem.

Now if I were in need, I just may pay for a swarm, of course with any swarm, you don't know what you're getting. They could be great producers or a dud, albeit some of the best hives I've ever had were from swarms.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 07:39:21 pm »
Ive had people ask me about paying them for swarms......many of them also said that they heard that bees are now endangered and they thought I might want to "save" them hence them asking me to pay for them!  Ever since the whole Media show of Colony Collapse Disorder, I think people see swarms and they see endangered then immediately their thoughts go towards....."Ooohhh  I can make some money"  Id love to see their faces when their "money" flies away :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:31:29 pm »
Rose, everyone gets swarm calls. JP just makes them cool. He has a knack for becoming one with the bee.  Just look for opportunities and practice changing them from work to play.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 11:15:31 pm »
Well what do you expect when you pour out a bottle of lemon grass oil in your truck and drive around :-D  :-D

Just trying to give you a hard time JP, you are the swarm king for sure.

G3

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 11:22:09 pm »
Rose, everyone gets swarm calls. JP just makes them cool. He has a knack for becoming one with the bee.  Just look for opportunities and practice changing them from work to play.

There are not as many swarms here where I live now, as there used to be in Texas. Most people are scared to death of the bees and freak out when they see more than one at a time.

I agree with the ideas of them wanting to make a fast buck after seeing all of the media telling about CCD problems. Money is hard to get here and jobs are not to be found, so that explains a lot of the asking to be paid for swarms.

As always, I like JP's answer! I could just see him telling someone that!

People think that I 'charm bees' already! Seriously! Word has gotten around that I 'do something' to the bees (swarms) so they will not sting me!  :-D One of the places that I got a swarm from (a very gentle and large swarm) I had a man tell me that those bees were all wild and crazy until I arrived and 'charmed them' into that box! Of course another fellow said that back in the 1600s they would have hung me for being a witch after he seen me take that swarm and get them into the hive body like I did.  :shock: Ok, I could have told them that I had the queen in the hive body already and that the workers would just go right in after her....but it was really more fun not to tell them! I did not want to bust their idea about 'magickal things' and 'charming bees'... :evil: Us women like being a bit on the mysterious side, ya know. ;)

Oh I love catching swarms! I do not think of it as work, but more of a fix for my addiction. If I am going to be addicted to something it just as well be catching swarms!

So far I have gotten some pretty good bees. One of the first swarms has lots of good comb and clover honey already; not to mention that pretty brood! Another one from the same place is making burr comb all over the place.... :-\

Brenda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 11:47:20 pm »
Iddee, I just love honeybees, love catching them, removing them, playing with them, but you my man are one with them, if anyone is. I know this to be true, the proof is in your pictures, the ones where you're removing them shirtless.

What is the deal with that anyway, is it the heat that has you shirtless or do you know something I don't know.

Should I give it a try and go shirtless?

hahahahahaah G3, you make me laugh!

Brenda, those answers have been used many times, and flow quite naturally from my lips, when people ask me why there is a charge to remove their million dollar babies.

When you tell them you don't need their bees, that you have plenty, they tend to get quiet and listen, then give you the address where the bees are located.

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 11:59:14 pm »
The love of nature.....

It can carry you through some very interesting times.

JP, I don't like to wear anything in excess for any job. I start a job with a minimum and go from there. If the bees start getting inside my shirt and getting trapped, they sting. With no shirt, they just land on me and fly away. Fewer stings, and the honeybee public relations are the greatest. As you know, my top objective is to promote the bees and make people aware of how great a little creature they really are. That is, in a nutshell, why I go shirtless, or whatever it takes to relieve the fear and install the love of the little ladies.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 12:06:55 am »
You know Bud likes to go shirtless too, heck his everyday attire is bluejean cut offs, that's it!

I spoke with him yesterday and he said a swarm he shook lit him up twice, during the shake, then later on.

And to think, Bud's such a small target! :-D

We love you Bud!

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 01:17:15 am »
JP gets all the swarm calls because he has the title of Swarm King, another reason is because he is King of the Brats!!!   :-P JP.  Have a most wonderful day, to love and live our great life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 01:25:01 am »
Cindi, you make me wanna shout, you make me wanna scream, you bring out the sprite in me! :-P :-*

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 01:29:35 am »
JP,  :) and a hug and a kiss, goodnight, heading off to that wild blue yonder of dreams.....have that beautiful day,  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 01:32:22 am »
 :-* :-* :-* ;)

...JP