Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do bees go to Russian/Autumn olive bush flowers?  (Read 3988 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Do bees go to Russian/Autumn olive bush flowers?
« on: May 24, 2009, 09:32:55 pm »
These bushes are everywhere and smell like honey when blooming, but I have not yet seen honey bees on them.  Bumbles and leaf cutters but not honey bees.  If they go to them do they get nectar, pollen or both?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Rogan

• New Bee
Re: Do bees go to Russian/Autumn olive bush flowers?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:25:27 pm »
We have quite a bit of Autumn Olive in Maryland.  I recently found out that it is an invasive plant and will grow where it is not disturbed such as along fence rows, hedge rows, tree lines, etc.  But as a beekeeper...who cares??  In my area it normally blooms for about 2 weeks starting the first week in May.  It has thousands of very sweet scented flowers.  Everytime I go and look up close, they are covered with bees.  Since I am only in my 2nd year of beekeeping, I have no idea what the noney tastes like.  Hope this helps.

Offline sonny

• New Bee
Re: Do bees go to Russian/Autumn olive bush flowers?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:51:01 pm »
Hi, Here in central WV autumn olive blooms mid to late April. The honey is very lightly colored and tastes faintly like the smell of the blossoms,real flowery.

anything